Mar 5, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Red Sox minor leaguer Drake Britton is in his first major league camp. Or, I should say, he was. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports:
Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s office.
Britton earned that arrest: he was clocked at 111 miles per hour in a 45 zone. Then he hopped a curb, went off the road, broke down a barbed wire fence and tried to drive into the woods. When he was finally stopped he was asked for his license and handed the officer his debit card.
In addition to threatening the lives of others and risking his own, Britton screwed himself royal. He was supposed to stay in big league camp for a few more appearances and was slated to be in the Triple-A rotation. Now he’s been optioned to Double-A Portland.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL