Mar 5, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Red Sox minor leaguer Drake Britton is in his first major league camp. Or, I should say, he was. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports:
Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s office.
Britton earned that arrest: he was clocked at 111 miles per hour in a 45 zone. Then he hopped a curb, went off the road, broke down a barbed wire fence and tried to drive into the woods. When he was finally stopped he was asked for his license and handed the officer his debit card.
In addition to threatening the lives of others and risking his own, Britton screwed himself royal. He was supposed to stay in big league camp for a few more appearances and was slated to be in the Triple-A rotation. Now he’s been optioned to Double-A Portland.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)