Red Sox minor leaguer Drake Britton got a DUI, was clocked at 111 miles per hour

Mar 5, 2013, 11:00 AM EST

Drake Britton

Red Sox minor leaguer Drake Britton is in his first major league camp. Or, I should say, he was. Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports:

Boston Red Sox pitcher Drake Britton, a 23-year-old in his first big-league camp, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and property damage, according to the Lee County Sheriff’s office.

Britton earned that arrest: he was clocked at 111 miles per hour in a 45 zone. Then he hopped a curb, went off the road, broke down a barbed wire fence and tried to drive into the woods.  When he was finally stopped he was asked for his license and handed the officer his debit card.

Ahem.

In addition to threatening the lives of others and risking his own, Britton screwed himself royal. He was supposed to stay in big league camp for a few more appearances and was slated to be in the Triple-A rotation. Now he’s been optioned to Double-A Portland.

1. kevinleaptrot - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I remember when I was young, indestrucatble and stupid (now I’m just old and stupid, for those of you who were curious). When are these knuckleheads going to learn from the errors of their predecessors and stop making thes mistakes on their own? This is ridiculous! Wise up athletes, people die because of this.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

he is 23, what do you expect, young, money in the bank and who knows what kind of fast car.
      usually it takes something like this to smarten him up, at least he didn’t kill anyone.

• pinkfloydprism - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Not an excuse.

• amartland - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I know what kind of fast car; a Chevy Silverado.

So, in other words, not a fast car.

Gotta admire his spunk handing over the debit card though. It’s all part of the negotiation.. gotta work up to the license, can’t give it all away up front.

2. El Bravo - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Douchenozzle.

3. alexo0 - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

If he can throw as fast as he drives, he’ll have no trouble finding work.

• historiophiliac - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

But he’d better have more control throwing.

4. cosanostra71 - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Red Sox minor leaguers have been shooting themselves in the foot a lot this year (both literally and figuratively).

5. jtpercell - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

He was clocked at 111mph? That’s one hell of a fastball!

6. sdelmonte - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM

If he doesn’t deserve a 50 game suspension, who does?

Though, frankly, that should also be more than a misdemeanor.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

yes, the suspension is a good idea.

7. jm91rs - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I didn’t read that headline right and I thought, Damn, 111mph! Something must be wrong with that radar gun or Aroldis Chapman better step aside.

8. mybrunoblog - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

66 MPH over the speed limit and DWI? He’ll be using his ten speed or a car service for the next 12 to 18 months. Stupid ass.

• darthicarus - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Because we all know that once you get a suspended license those people never get behind the wheel again.

9. zzalapski - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

A million-dollar arm and a five-cent head.

10. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Blah blah blah…the prospect was bad. I am far more intrigued by the fact that a 2008 Silverado pickup can go 111 mph. Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet indeed.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Exactly. You won’t see no F150 doing 111, much less successfully negotiating an embankment and a barbed-wire fence.

11. Cris E - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hello Portland! MLB Baseball here, just wanted to tell you how excited we are about the upcoming 2013 season. We’ve sent our first player to your community, so look out! No, seriously, look out. He’s kind of dangerous.

• sabatimus - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I’ve got a good chance of seeing him play. I hope I don’t. The Sox should’ve cut him entirely from their system.

12. unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

God, I wish that were 2 separate headlines. If he’s a giant knucklehead, I wish he could at least throw 111 mph.

13. sepl12 - Mar 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM

as a Mainer I am very annoyed they are sending this scum bag to my state. I’d you’re drunk and going over 100 I’m for the automatic death penalty. no excuse for putting our lives at risk.

• 18thstreet - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:19 PM

If it were up to me, he’d have his drivers’ license taken away permanently. I mean this literally.

• zx11c3 - Mar 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I’m also a Mainer, and folks please don’t judge us from by what this nut says. Death penalty, please. You’re showing your ignorance. Yes, that should be more than a misdemeanor. He should be sent back to his hometown. They sure failed to educate him when he was there before.

14. illegalblues - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM

don’t see how jonathon singleton gets suspended for smoking a joint but this kid will probably get off with a “well, just don’t do that again”

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I can explain it to you. The giant marijuana growing companies haven’t gotten rich enough to spray enough cash around to legalize it everywhere. Yet.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5311)
  2. M. Kemp (3149)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2879)
  4. C. McGehee (2876)