Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
One option, the official confessed, is the Mets’ Ike Davis, an Arizona native. Though that same official noted that “a lot of names are being considered.”
Paul Konerko would probably go, and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports says Prince Fielder can become “America’s first WBC hero.” Ryan Howard of the Phillies, Paul Goldschmidt of the Diamondbacks and Freddie Freeman of the Braves are some of the other potential options.
Teixeira suffered a strained right wrist while hitting off a tee Tuesday before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox. He has been removed from the WBC roster and sent to New York for testing.
Davis, 25, batted .227/.308/.462 with 32 home runs and 90 RBI in 156 games last season.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 118
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 78
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (119)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (80)