Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
One option, the official confessed, is the Mets’ Ike Davis, an Arizona native. Though that same official noted that “a lot of names are being considered.”
Paul Konerko would probably go, and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports says Prince Fielder can become “America’s first WBC hero.” Ryan Howard of the Phillies, Paul Goldschmidt of the Diamondbacks and Freddie Freeman of the Braves are some of the other potential options.
Teixeira suffered a strained right wrist while hitting off a tee Tuesday before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox. He has been removed from the WBC roster and sent to New York for testing.
Davis, 25, batted .227/.308/.462 with 32 home runs and 90 RBI in 156 games last season.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL