Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
One option, the official confessed, is the Mets’ Ike Davis, an Arizona native. Though that same official noted that “a lot of names are being considered.”
Paul Konerko would probably go, and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports says Prince Fielder can become “America’s first WBC hero.” Ryan Howard of the Phillies, Paul Goldschmidt of the Diamondbacks and Freddie Freeman of the Braves are some of the other potential options.
Teixeira suffered a strained right wrist while hitting off a tee Tuesday before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox. He has been removed from the WBC roster and sent to New York for testing.
Davis, 25, batted .227/.308/.462 with 32 home runs and 90 RBI in 156 games last season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)