Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
One option, the official confessed, is the Mets’ Ike Davis, an Arizona native. Though that same official noted that “a lot of names are being considered.”
Paul Konerko would probably go, and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports says Prince Fielder can become “America’s first WBC hero.” Ryan Howard of the Phillies, Paul Goldschmidt of the Diamondbacks and Freddie Freeman of the Braves are some of the other potential options.
Teixeira suffered a strained right wrist while hitting off a tee Tuesday before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox. He has been removed from the WBC roster and sent to New York for testing.
Davis, 25, batted .227/.308/.462 with 32 home runs and 90 RBI in 156 games last season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 40
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)