Mar 5, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
One option, the official confessed, is the Mets’ Ike Davis, an Arizona native. Though that same official noted that “a lot of names are being considered.”
Paul Konerko would probably go, and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports says Prince Fielder can become “America’s first WBC hero.” Ryan Howard of the Phillies, Paul Goldschmidt of the Diamondbacks and Freddie Freeman of the Braves are some of the other potential options.
Teixeira suffered a strained right wrist while hitting off a tee Tuesday before Team USA’s exhibition game against the White Sox. He has been removed from the WBC roster and sent to New York for testing.
Davis, 25, batted .227/.308/.462 with 32 home runs and 90 RBI in 156 games last season.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)