Mar 5, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Yankees outfield prospect Adonis Garcia has been diagnosed with a broken left wrist and will have surgery on Thursday. He suffered the injury Sunday while taking batting practice in Tampa.
It’s not clear how long the 27-year-old will be out.
Garcia, a Cuban defector, signed for $400,000 last spring and went on to bat .263/.311/.424 with five home runs in 57 games between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton. He was 4-for-10 (.400) with a walk, two runs and an RBI in this year’s Grapefruit League.
Garcia will probably report back to Double-A Trenton once he is recovered from this injury.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 89
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)