Mar 5, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Yankees outfield prospect Adonis Garcia has been diagnosed with a broken left wrist and will have surgery on Thursday. He suffered the injury Sunday while taking batting practice in Tampa.
It’s not clear how long the 27-year-old will be out.
Garcia, a Cuban defector, signed for $400,000 last spring and went on to bat .263/.311/.424 with five home runs in 57 games between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton. He was 4-for-10 (.400) with a walk, two runs and an RBI in this year’s Grapefruit League.
Garcia will probably report back to Double-A Trenton once he is recovered from this injury.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)