Mar 5, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Yankees outfield prospect Adonis Garcia has been diagnosed with a broken left wrist and will have surgery on Thursday. He suffered the injury Sunday while taking batting practice in Tampa.
It’s not clear how long the 27-year-old will be out.
Garcia, a Cuban defector, signed for $400,000 last spring and went on to bat .263/.311/.424 with five home runs in 57 games between High-A Tampa and Double-A Trenton. He was 4-for-10 (.400) with a walk, two runs and an RBI in this year’s Grapefruit League.
Garcia will probably report back to Double-A Trenton once he is recovered from this injury.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)