Mar 6, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Delmon Young has dropped enough pounds to collect his $600,000 in weigh-in incentives, but his recovery from ankle surgery will keep him out of the Phillies’ lineup until at least mid-April.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. delivered that news to reporters today while also saying that Young will play exclusively right field once he does return. Young hasn’t played an inning in right field since 2007 with the Rays, which should add to his usual adventures defensively.
Of course, as Amaro told David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News: “He’s not a good left fielder, and he doesn’t want to play there.”
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 36
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (92)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)