Mar 6, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Delmon Young has dropped enough pounds to collect his $600,000 in weigh-in incentives, but his recovery from ankle surgery will keep him out of the Phillies’ lineup until at least mid-April.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. delivered that news to reporters today while also saying that Young will play exclusively right field once he does return. Young hasn’t played an inning in right field since 2007 with the Rays, which should add to his usual adventures defensively.
Of course, as Amaro told David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News: “He’s not a good left fielder, and he doesn’t want to play there.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 10
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 28
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)