Francisco Rodriguez wants the Mets to give him a call

Mar 6, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Francisco Rodriguez’s first stint in New York didn’t end so well, but the free agent relieving is looking for work and “would love to” have a reunion with the Mets.

“To come back and redeem myself would be great, because I’ve got to be realistic and honest,” Rodriguez told Christina De Nicola of MLB.com. “You would have to be real blind to not see that I fell when I was there. That’s not even a question. To be able to get one more shot and get it done would be great.”

Of course, Rodriguez hasn’t actually heard from the Mets and … well, he shouldn’t be waiting by the phone.

It is interesting that he hasn’t found a gig somewhere, though, because for all his baggage Rodriguez is still just 31 years old and was an effective setup man for the Brewers during the past one-and-a-half seasons with a 3.65 ERA and 105 strikeouts in 101 innings. He’d upgrade a lot of bullpens, but either his price tag remains too high or teams have decided he’s simply not worth the hassle.

1. baseballisboring - Mar 6, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Jesus, K Rod is only 31? I know he was young when he came up but I definitely thought he was 34/35.

2. thebadguyswon - Mar 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM

The Mets aren’t going to sign him, obviously. But I’m surprised no one has offered him a deal.

3. multiplemiggs - Mar 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Tigers no?

4. bla bla bla - Mar 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM

” and was an effective setup man for the Brewers during the past one-and-a-half seasons ”

Well, you got the “and-a-half” right. He was effective for the second half of 2011, but pretty much stunk up the joint last year.

5. pisano - Mar 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Frankie, I sure wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for the Mets to call you, if you have any other options, take them.

• badintent - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM

selling pretzels outside Shea.

6. 11thstreetmafia - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I definitely think the Montreal Expos or the California Angels should be interested in this guy.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto