Placido Polanco is having more back problems

Mar 6, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT

Placido Polanco Getty Images

Placido Polanco has been sidelined since Saturday with lower back soreness and was supposed to rejoin the Marlins’ lineup today, but he was a late scratch after taking batting practice.

“I don’t think it’s going to be an extended thing,” manager Mike Redmond said, via Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. “We just want got make sure he’s 100 percent before we run him back out there. We need him for the long haul.

Here’s the thing, though: At this point it’s safe to wonder if Polanco is simply too beat up physically to ever really be “100 percent.”

He had knee, finger, and back problems last season and toe, hip, elbow, and finger problems in 2011, including a hernia. He’s missed 30, 40, and 72 games in the past three seasons and is now 37 years old. Polanco picked the right spot to reestablish himself as an everyday player, because it’s not like the Marlins have many other options, but his body may not allow it.

1. Francisco (FC) - Mar 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

At this point, Scott Rolen would have a better shot at staying healthy and playing everyday than Placido Polanco.

2. mybrunoblog - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I’m not sure why but every time I hear the name Placido Polanco I immediately think of the name Enrico Pallazzo.

• sophiethegreatdane - Mar 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

No way! I thought it was just me. Happens every time I read Placido’s name. I get the “Enrico Pallazzo” chant stuck in my head.

Gotta give it to Enrico — the man called the game with panache. And what about that rousing rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner”? Eat your heart out, Whitney.

3. steelers88 - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Time to retire?

4. taktrevor - Mar 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM

His BA/OBP/SLG/OPS have declined three years running (all of which were below career averages) and his strikeout rate has increased, while playing progressivley fewer games each year.

It seems age has now outperformed talent, and I’m suprised even Miami signed him. I’d be more suprised if he plays in even 80 games this year. His downward trend inspires a .240/.290/.310 slash with a .600 OPS.

He’s one I wish would walk away, because I loved his game. Then again, I wouldn’t walk away from almost 3 million this year either.

5. officialgame - Mar 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The great thing
    is Polanco is stealing money from Ebenezer Loria and that isn’t easy to do.

• Old Gator - Mar 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Tell Slobbering Ozzie that.

6. deepstblu - Mar 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

He looked shot last year. I thought he would hobble off to await election to the Hall of Very Good, but they gave him millions of reasons not to…

7. ryanrockzzz - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:18 AM

And to think I had hopes he would be able to hit the ball into the outfield this year. Looks like now he probably won’t be able to get it past the pitchers mound.

One of my favorite Phillies when he was there in each stop, but it was evident last year he was done.

Final take away from World Series