Scott Kazmir throws for scouts, looks pretty good

Mar 6, 2013, 1:11 PM EDT

Scott Kazmir threw a B game this morning here in Goodyear. On hand were scouts from multiple teams including the Rangers, Cubs, Brewers and Padres. Terry Francona and multiple Indians officials came out to the back field to watch as well.

source:

The results: with the GIGANTIC caveat that I’m no scout, I’d say he looked pretty good. His fastball was sitting in the low 90s, mostly at 91-92.  The purpose of the game, however, was for him to work on breaking and offspeed stuff. Like, Kazmir specifically asked for the game for that reason. As far as that goes, he did seem to have a bit of trouble locating his breaking stuff early, but he was getting a lot of swings and misses, striking out four of the first six batters he faced, three of them swinging.

source:

As Kazmir was winding down I talked to one of the scouts. He thought Kazmir looked good and agreed with me that his velocity was nice, especially compared to where he was a year or two ago. As for the breaking stuff: yes, some issues with location, but the scout liked the deception. Especially his slider, which really had nice movement. And obviously deception is the name of the game.

All told, I think this was a good outing for Kazmir. Whether that means he gets a job on the Indians or becomes trade bait isn’t clear, but given where he was not too long ago, it was a pretty encouraging morning.

1. thomas844 - Mar 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Ubaldo, Masterson, Myers, Kazmir, Matuzaka. I’m not holding my breath but if everything goes right this has potential to be a darned good rotation.

• jarathen - Mar 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I watched him pitch for the Angels. I’m all for underdogs, and I’m hoping KC or CLE give the Tigers a challenge, but don’t pin your hopes to him.

• pappageorgio - Mar 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

“IF” all goes well.

I’d say there’s potential for disaster with that rotation as well.

• thomas844 - Mar 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Agreed. It can go either way and anything in between.

• djpostl - Mar 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Not really. The track record indicates you can expect to break the record for most BB’s issued in a 162 game season.

• Kevin Gillman - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I don’t see Dice-K making the team. McAllister will be either the 4 or 5, but other than that, those will be the 5 starters. I don’t see Kazmir going anywhere else if he is throwing well in spring.

• muscles1331 - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I hate to be “that guy”, but this rotation looks awful. Ubaldo is not a patch of what he was with the Rockies. Masterson has some talent but is maddeningly inconsistent to the point that one wonders if the Tribe would be better served trading him after he strings together a few quality starts. Dice-K still has some potential and with the lower expectations, could have a bounce back year. But after half a decade being stateside and ravaged by injuries, I don’t think he will ever be an 18 game winner again.

Always loved Kazmir when he was the only bright spot on those putrid Rays teams. It didn’t hurt that they fleeced the Mets to get him :p. Always thought he was a number 2 type guy and he is young enough that he can still be the Kazmir of old for a few more years if the reports about his renaissance are true. Myers is a solid number 3 guy. Has some good games and throws a few stinkers but is pretty consistent.

Bauer will be the x-factor in my opinion. As of right now though, I feel like the guys listed above would need to match their career best seasons to be on par with what the Tigers are expected to trot out as a rotation this year.

2. flosox - Mar 6, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Breaking News!! Kazmir poisened by radiation during B squad game…

3. baseballisboring - Mar 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Kazmir is definitely one of those “Wouldn’t it be cool if THAT guy made it back?” guys. It really would be remarkable, for a guy getting lit up pitching for the Sugarland Skeeters to make it all the way back to a big league rotation, or even a bullpen. I always root for stories like this, and they rarely work out, but there’s some encouraging signs at least.

4. areyesrn - Mar 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

this guy was just as good as Cole Hamels in 2008…it’s a shame what happened to him…

5. 2077james - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Prett-ay, prett-ay, prett-ay, pretty good.

6. deadlift37 - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I remember when the Mets traded him to Tampa for Victor Zambrano, us fans were looking at it as a Nolan Ryan type trade at the time. Kazmir had filthy stuff would have put money on him being a perenial all star and cy young contender

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3004)