Mar 6, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
After Martin Perez suffered a forearm fracture when he was hit by a comebacker on Sunday, there was immediate speculation that the Rangers could make a play for free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But it’s not going to happen.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com was given this firm denial from a Rangers’ source today:
“We are not going to sign Kyle Lohse. I can’t be clearer than that.”
Lohse had a 2.86 ERA in 33 starts with the Cardinals last season, but he has failed to garner much interest this winter because he is tied to draft pick compensation. Still, that hasn’t stopped his agent, Scott Boras, from trying to land a three-year deal and a “big” annual salary.
As for now, Robbie Ross appears to the the favorite for the fifth spot in the Rangers’ rotation. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed one run over four innings this afternoon against the Cubs and has a 3.00 ERA over nine innings of work this spring.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)