Mar 6, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
After Martin Perez suffered a forearm fracture when he was hit by a comebacker on Sunday, there was immediate speculation that the Rangers could make a play for free agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But it’s not going to happen.
T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com was given this firm denial from a Rangers’ source today:
“We are not going to sign Kyle Lohse. I can’t be clearer than that.”
Lohse had a 2.86 ERA in 33 starts with the Cardinals last season, but he has failed to garner much interest this winter because he is tied to draft pick compensation. Still, that hasn’t stopped his agent, Scott Boras, from trying to land a three-year deal and a “big” annual salary.
As for now, Robbie Ross appears to the the favorite for the fifth spot in the Rangers’ rotation. The 23-year-old left-hander allowed one run over four innings this afternoon against the Cubs and has a 3.00 ERA over nine innings of work this spring.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 71
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)