Mar 6, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
I’ve written a couple posts this week about the lackluster attendance at World Baseball Classic games in Japan, where the announced attendance for Cuba-China and Brazil-China was over 3,000 but the actual attendance was closer to 100.
It was startling to see the games played in what was basically an empty dome and my point was that when the host country’s team isn’t playing the overall interest level in the WBC is minimal. When the host country’s team is playing, however, plenty of people come out to watch.
For instance, the fine folks at MLB inform me that “the crowd of 23,431 that watched Chinese Taipei play Korea” yesterday “was the largest ever for a baseball game in Taiwan.” And while not a packed house the Cuba-Japan matchup that ended a few hours ago–and I just finished watching on my DVR–was definitely well-attended.
I still think 100 people showing up for a WBC game is a lot more newsworthy than 23,431 people showing up for a WBC game, but fair is fair. And regardless of attendance, I’ve already watched a handful of the games, including staying up into the wee hours to watch live a couple times.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)