Mar 6, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
I’ve written a couple posts this week about the lackluster attendance at World Baseball Classic games in Japan, where the announced attendance for Cuba-China and Brazil-China was over 3,000 but the actual attendance was closer to 100.
It was startling to see the games played in what was basically an empty dome and my point was that when the host country’s team isn’t playing the overall interest level in the WBC is minimal. When the host country’s team is playing, however, plenty of people come out to watch.
For instance, the fine folks at MLB inform me that “the crowd of 23,431 that watched Chinese Taipei play Korea” yesterday “was the largest ever for a baseball game in Taiwan.” And while not a packed house the Cuba-Japan matchup that ended a few hours ago–and I just finished watching on my DVR–was definitely well-attended.
I still think 100 people showing up for a WBC game is a lot more newsworthy than 23,431 people showing up for a WBC game, but fair is fair. And regardless of attendance, I’ve already watched a handful of the games, including staying up into the wee hours to watch live a couple times.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)