Mar 6, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
I’ve written a couple posts this week about the lackluster attendance at World Baseball Classic games in Japan, where the announced attendance for Cuba-China and Brazil-China was over 3,000 but the actual attendance was closer to 100.
It was startling to see the games played in what was basically an empty dome and my point was that when the host country’s team isn’t playing the overall interest level in the WBC is minimal. When the host country’s team is playing, however, plenty of people come out to watch.
For instance, the fine folks at MLB inform me that “the crowd of 23,431 that watched Chinese Taipei play Korea” yesterday “was the largest ever for a baseball game in Taiwan.” And while not a packed house the Cuba-Japan matchup that ended a few hours ago–and I just finished watching on my DVR–was definitely well-attended.
I still think 100 people showing up for a WBC game is a lot more newsworthy than 23,431 people showing up for a WBC game, but fair is fair. And regardless of attendance, I’ve already watched a handful of the games, including staying up into the wee hours to watch live a couple times.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)