Mar 6, 2013, 11:17 AM EST
I’ve written a couple posts this week about the lackluster attendance at World Baseball Classic games in Japan, where the announced attendance for Cuba-China and Brazil-China was over 3,000 but the actual attendance was closer to 100.
It was startling to see the games played in what was basically an empty dome and my point was that when the host country’s team isn’t playing the overall interest level in the WBC is minimal. When the host country’s team is playing, however, plenty of people come out to watch.
For instance, the fine folks at MLB inform me that “the crowd of 23,431 that watched Chinese Taipei play Korea” yesterday “was the largest ever for a baseball game in Taiwan.” And while not a packed house the Cuba-Japan matchup that ended a few hours ago–and I just finished watching on my DVR–was definitely well-attended.
I still think 100 people showing up for a WBC game is a lot more newsworthy than 23,431 people showing up for a WBC game, but fair is fair. And regardless of attendance, I’ve already watched a handful of the games, including staying up into the wee hours to watch live a couple times.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)