Mar 7, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca has the breaking news:
The Toronto Blue Jays expect Brett Lawrie to be ready for opening day, but a mild strain near the third baseman’s 10th rib and left intercostal muscle forced him to withdraw from Canada’s entry to the World Baseball Classic on Friday.
Lawrie, a native of Langley, British Columbia, suffered the injury Wednesday during Team Canada’s 12-2 exhibition loss to the Reds.
“Hopefully it’s two weeks,” Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos said Thursday. “He’s been through it. He said what he had last year was 10 times worse than this, but he knows. … Obviously there was something there and he was smart. He felt something going to his left on a ground ball and something on a swing.”
Lawrie, 23, has hit .278/.336/.446 with 20 homers and 73 RBI in his first 168 major league games.
Team Canada is expected to replace him at the hot corner with the Brewers’ Taylor Green.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 34
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)