Mar 7, 2013, 6:28 PM EDT
Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca has the breaking news:
The Toronto Blue Jays expect Brett Lawrie to be ready for opening day, but a mild strain near the third baseman’s 10th rib and left intercostal muscle forced him to withdraw from Canada’s entry to the World Baseball Classic on Friday.
Lawrie, a native of Langley, British Columbia, suffered the injury Wednesday during Team Canada’s 12-2 exhibition loss to the Reds.
“Hopefully it’s two weeks,” Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos said Thursday. “He’s been through it. He said what he had last year was 10 times worse than this, but he knows. … Obviously there was something there and he was smart. He felt something going to his left on a ground ball and something on a swing.”
Lawrie, 23, has hit .278/.336/.446 with 20 homers and 73 RBI in his first 168 major league games.
Team Canada is expected to replace him at the hot corner with the Brewers’ Taylor Green.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)