Brewers GM Doug Melvin got stung by a scorpion, spent three hours in a hospital

Mar 7, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

arizona-bark-scorpion

This is a very dangerous week to be a general manager.

Brian Cashman broke his leg and ankle sky-diving Monday and last night Brewers GM Doug Melvin was stung by a scorpion and spent three hours in the hospital.

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has the details:

Melvin just told me he reached down to pick up what he thought was a harmless bug with a Kleenex but it turned out to be an Arizona bark scorpion. Melvin was stung on the middle finger of his left hand and when he started experiencing numbness going up his arm, he Googled scorpion stings and decided he better go to a hospital.

“I spent three hours in an emergency room in Scottsdale,” Melvin said Thursday morning at the Brewers’ Maryvale complex. “My arm is still totally numb.”

Melvin is back at work today, saying: “I don’t think it’s that big a deal.”

1. jm91rs - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Why was he bending down to pickup a random bug with a tissue? No way I’m ever touching a bug that looks like that thing.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

so he’s down one middle finger. personally I like flippin the bird and I find this
      terribly disturbing.

• pinkfloydprism - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The only thing I can think of is that it matched the carpet color and they can look like crickets if the carpet hides them.

2. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Unless you’ve been stung before, I’d suggest everyone go immediately to an ER. Everyone’s body reacts differently. Their venom can be fatal.

3. espfdps - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

How the heck does that look like a harmless bug?!?!? Even Ryan Braun wouldn’t “tamper” with that….

4. chacochicken - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Was this a ploy by Scott Boras to get the Brewers to sign Kyle Lohse? The antidote costs 3 years and 35 million.

5. chill1184 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Yikes, as someone who has allegories to various insect stings I feel his pain. Its not fun

• chacochicken - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Yeah, I carry an epi-pen just in case I come in contact with Plato or Orwell.

6. heyblueyoustink - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I poked fun at Craig about this sort of thing on Twitter when he was opining about how great the West was. No slight against the western states, just, you know, bigger variety of poisonous thingies.

And

“Also, at what point will “Googling your symptoms” just become a symptom of something?”

Aaron, just ask your Dr, Web MD, right?

7. jwbiii - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:20 AM

And remember kids, if you’re in the desert, check your shoes before you put them on in the morning.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Good rule in general but vital in the West and in places like Australia a.k.a. the scariest place on earth when it comes to the wildlife.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Absolutely. But I will add…I live in Indiana (have my whole life) and I check my shoes before putting them on in the morning. It’s just good policy. That…and I have OCD. But whatever.

8. dwrek5 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

3 hours in the ER… must not have been that bad, thats purty purty quick for an ER.

• paperlions - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Unless he just sat around for 3 hours and then left.

9. shaggylocks - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I’m surprised he waited for his arm to start going numb before googling scorpion stings. I’m pretty sure if I was stung by a scorpion (or bit by a black widow or rattlesnake or any other organism I knew to be venomous) I’d probably be on google right away checking out how serious it was, all while rushing as fast as I could toward the nearest hospital.

• Sign Ahead - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I might not have been much of a wait. Last year I stepped on a bark scorpion while getting out of the shower. My foot and the lower half of my calf were numb by the time I finished shouting “Ow! F—!”

10. mybrunoblog - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Another reason while I’ll never live anywhere but the north east. Damm I thought Scorpians were an aging but still cool 80s metal band.

• rodgersmvp - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I love you for this reference.

• JB (the original) - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I’ve got the Love Drive scorpion on my left bicep (in green and yellow instead of the blue on the cover). Got it when I was young and military (AF).

• tycobb420 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Agree on the good reference, but were the Scorpions ever cool, let alone now? I mean, there may be some niche of ironical hipsterdom in which the Scorpions qualify as cool in some metaphysical way, but straight-up cool? I don’t know, man.

• bla bla bla - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don’t believe a word of it. I’m pretty sure that Melvin has never in his life uttered 2 or more sentences without an “and that” thrown in somewhere.

11. djjackson81 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Could have been worse he could have been bit by a Diamondback.

12. chacochicken - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM

So instead of sitting on my hand for an hour until it falls asleep, I can just get stung by a scorpion, huh? That makes the stranger way more exotic.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3454)