Mar 7, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Trevor Rosenthal was competing for the final spot in the Cardinals’ rotation following Chris Carpenter’s injury, but manager Mike Matheny announced that the 22-year-old prospect will be shifted to the bullpen.
Rosenthal was dominant out of the Cardinals’ bullpen down the stretch and into the playoffs last season, but he was a full-time starter in the minors and ranks among the top dozen or so starter prospects in baseball.
Of course, working a young starter into the mix as a reliever initially is fairly common and doesn’t mean the Cardinals don’t view Rosenthal as a long-term piece of their rotation. But in the short term they have the luxury of Joe Kelly and fellow top prospect Shelby Miller as rotation candidates and can see what type of damage Rosenthal is capable of in shorter appearances for a while.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)