Mar 7, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Trevor Rosenthal was competing for the final spot in the Cardinals’ rotation following Chris Carpenter’s injury, but manager Mike Matheny announced that the 22-year-old prospect will be shifted to the bullpen.
Rosenthal was dominant out of the Cardinals’ bullpen down the stretch and into the playoffs last season, but he was a full-time starter in the minors and ranks among the top dozen or so starter prospects in baseball.
Of course, working a young starter into the mix as a reliever initially is fairly common and doesn’t mean the Cardinals don’t view Rosenthal as a long-term piece of their rotation. But in the short term they have the luxury of Joe Kelly and fellow top prospect Shelby Miller as rotation candidates and can see what type of damage Rosenthal is capable of in shorter appearances for a while.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 52
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11