Cards “have not called the Rockies” about Troy Tulowitzki

Mar 7, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT

tulowitzki getty Getty Images

There has been speculation that the shortstop-needy Cardinals might make a run at the Rockies’ Troy Tulowitzki. But it won’t happen anytime soon.

CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Cardinals “have not called the Rockies” this spring about Tulowitzki. Heyman adds that the Colorado front office “has no interest in trading Tulo anyway.”

The Cards have the kind of top-end pitching talent that the Rockies badly want and St. Louis has deep enough pockets to take on the $144 million in salary that Tulo is still owed. But teams don’t typically trade away superstars during spring training — when they’re trying to sell tickets for the upcoming season.

Tulowitzki appeared in only 47 games in 2012 because of serious groin problems but he’ll carry a clean bill of health into 2013. The 28-year-old is a .292/.364/.504 career hitter through seven major league seasons.

The Cardinals will likely start Pete Kozma at shortstop on Opening Day if they can’t make an upgrade.

1. thebadguyswon - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Why would anyone assume that contract when he’s missed a ton of time the last two seasons? Health is a skill that Tulo doesn’t have.

• kyzslew77 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

He has had three real injuries in his career- 2008, injured self slamming a bat in the dugout in anger, something that will never happen again. 2010, HBP, something that could happen to anyone. 2012, groin. Yeah I agree, totally injury prone. One “wear and tear” injury in six seasons. And 2011, with 143 GP and 609 PA? You’re right, he missed a ton of time that year. Commenting is easier when you just stick to the lazy narrative though, right?

• thebadguyswon - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Games played by season
        08 – 101
        09 – 151
        10 – 122
        11 – 143
        12 – 47

so yeah, there’s a significant injury history there, Chief. Hopefully that is “real” enough for ya.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Burn…burn…burn. In your face 77. Whatcha’ got now?

• kyzslew77 - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Thanks so much for reading and understanding my comment! Looks like the St. Louis school system is doing a great job with the area’s children. I’ll try it again with smaller words:

2008: Tulo hurt, but cuz he done did stoopid thing with bat. He angry. Weird injury, not happen again ever.
        2009: Miss 11 games. Lotz shortstopz miss dat many for wear n tear.
        2010: Pitch hit Tulo wrist. He ouchy. Not kind of ouchy that happen lotz of times tho.
        2011: Miss 19 games. Dat a few too many, but same idear az 2009.
        2012: Tulo leg go owie. This bad injury, scary for Rockeez fanz, but only real injury in career that last this long! /holds up 6 fingers

Let me know if you need more help, I can mail you some stick figure drawings that might explain things better than my words can.

#STLCardsBestFansInBaseball

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The problem….is that a guy that wasn’t capable of playing 162 even once in his 20s (so far) doesn’t exactly profile as a picture of health in his 30s. Age always increases the probability of injury and the length of recuperation.

• kyzslew77 - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM

No, the problem is that some commenters can’t seem to get through their water-filled skulls that a freak anger-related injury and a freak HBP injury are not signs that a guy has injury problems. They’re signs that he’s unlucky. The groin pull from last year is a huge issue right now, and any team would be foolish to trade for him right now, but it doesn’t make him injury-prone. It makes him a guy with one major injury in a six year career. That puts him in good company with dozens and dozens of pitchers, as well as position players like David Wright and Joey Votto. I don’t hear too many stories about how those guys are injury-prone.

Further, shortstops not named Cal Ripken Jr. don’t play 162 games. A-Rod had a pretty amazing stretch where he pulled it off 3 times in 5 seasons, but he probably had some steroid help doing it, and besides that stretch he a bunch of 140-155 game seasons in his 20s. Same for Jeter, same for Ozzie Smith, same for Rollins (with one amazing 162 game season, his MVP year), same for Trammell, same for Larkin, etc., etc.

2. 13arod - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:40 PM

The only reason he gets injured is because he plays 110%

• thebadguyswon - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:07 PM

So his groin wasn’t as gritty as the rest of his body?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Come on Arod! Look…I defend you regularly due to your age.
      But you gotta’ start thinking before you hit “post comment.”
      Re-read your posts my Man.

3. ghostofjimlindeman - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:08 AM

The narrative is that with that much money owed and the prospects Colorado wants, plus his inability to stay healthy for whatever reason PASS!!

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Exactly, assuming all of the risk and costs (in terms of players and $$) doesn’t make much sense. The Cardinals are not built (or trying to build) for the short-term, they are trying to maintain a team that can compete every year, no reason to panic and sell some future when you already have a great chance of making the playoffs as constructed…..and once you make the playoffs, anything can happen.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

On point Paper. With that kind of money…as well as the prospects…I am gonna’ pass.
        Hell…it’s sort of a double dip situation. You got pay through the nose and give up serious pieces of the future while doing so.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Yep, I’d LOVE to have him…..but starting next year his contract is long and expensive….to me, that is paying enough…and with that contract, they need to have MORE of their young cheap players to contribute, not fewer of them.

• spudchukar - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Well, yeah, and yeah. First kudos to KYZ…, boy am I ever tired of reading the “injury-prone” tag describing players who may not deserve it. All injuries are not alike, and the likelihood of Tulo being plagued by the injury bug is minimal.

That said, the contract is troubling. Sure if the Rockies were willing to eat a good portion of his contract then he becomes attractive, but then who wouldn’t want him, and the bidding can begin now.

It is hard to see how a deal can develop. And a couple of Cards prospects should be untouchable IMO, namely Taveras and Rosenthal. I could see a Miller/Adams move but not 2 of our prized prospects together.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Oh…I know I am on the list. But I have seen enough of the Kozma posts.
        I had to do something. And despit what she claims…I still very much feel she is Kozma trolling.
        But I still love her anyway.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Nah, I think it is genuine rooting for a fellow Oklahoman.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Yep, that’s why I root for Kozma & Holliday…and Matt Kemp!

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

“Nah, I think it is genuine rooting for a fellow Oklahoman.”

Damn it Man! I failed to make the connection. Thank you for pointing it out Mr. Obvious.

I apologize Philiac. I mean that sincerely. I will try to do better.
        Can I still have the bread budding and olives?

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

PS For me, that’s the only redeeming value in watching the Cards. AND YOU KNOW WHY!!!! Grudge match 2013!

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Plus, you know, if Tulo stays with the Rockies, I get to see him come back & play every once in a while.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

You were very smart to figure that out, by the way.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Wasn’t hard. I new Holliday was from OK, that you live there, and you mentioned rooting for Holliday and Kozma (or something like that)….I think it was when you were lamenting living really far from an MLB city. There really aren’t that many reasons someone would have interest in those 2 specific player….as they don’t have much in common….except for their Oklahomaness.

4. 4getu - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

The Rockies front office is stupid and greedy enough to trade Tulo for mediocre pitching. That’s what they always do

5. historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Kozma!

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I once knew an Okie from Muskogee.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Not funny.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Awe come on Philiac. It is at least as funny as your Kozma trolling.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’m not trolling. I am rooting for Kozma. And, that’s an insult. Please, stop.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Dude, you are on the shit list now. Do not pass go, do not collect meatloaf (or bread pudding or olives).

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The question is…where to position you — above my annoying neighbors? More than cur? Decisions, decisions…

6. bigleagues - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I smell a Matt Adams for Jose Iglesias swap brewing.
    ;-)

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2893)