Carl Crawford on the Boston media: “they love it when you’re miserable”

Mar 7, 2013, 1:43 PM EST

carl crawford getty Getty Images

Carl Crawford continues to go all Taylor Swift on the Boston media.  After saying that he never should have signed with Boston he told this to Danny Knobler:

“It just wasn’t the right place for me at the end of my day. I didn’t do my homework. Maybe they didn’t, either. At the end of the day, it just wasn’t the place for me … That smile turned upside down quick. I think they want to see that in Boston. They love it when you’re miserable. Burying people in the media, they think that makes a person play better. That media was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced in my life.”

Dude: even if there is some truth to that — and I tend to think there is — you are never, ever going to win this game, so you probably need to stop it. No matter how bad the Boston media can be, any athlete there is gonna get this kind of thing if they play poorly, are hurt, or whatever. It happened 75 years ago and it’s gonna happen 75 years from now. It’s a “Farmer and the Viper” situation.

Crawford didn’t do his homework. That’s really the end of the story. Boston’s gonna Boston and everyone else needs to deal with it or move on.

1. kjericho43 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Best
    Trade
    Ever

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

The Herschel Walker trade, I assume that’s what you’re referring to?

• kjericho43 - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

No, the one in which Boston lost themselves of one dude named Carl, who, as far as I know, was never actually crucified in the media as he thinks he had been. Fact is, fans and media alike were pretty supportive of CC. Not sure why his anger festers like that of a spurned ex girlfriend.

2. riverace19 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM

The LA media won’t like Crawford either once they realize what a big p**sy he is

• captainwisdom88 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

he is such a whiner. Take credit for your actions or lack thereof. dont blame media scrutiny for your terrible play. YOU ARE PAID 20 MILLION TO PLAY BASEBALL AND YOU DIDNT DO YOUR JOB. Its the media’s job to report stories. Thats what they are paid for. What an easier story than scrutinizing an athlete who gets paid all that money to be absolutely uselessssssssssss

• bobwsc - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Crawford won’t be able to handle T.J. Simers if he thinks the Boston media is bad.

3. hojo20 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:58 PM

CC = piece of trash

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quite a bold and broad paint brush you wield. I usually reserve “human garbage” for special cases, like Chairman Mao, Joseph Mengele, and Gargamel.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Leave gargamel alone… all the guy wants to do is eat a smurf or two…. poor misunderstood gargamel

• badintent - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

And El Presidente del Northe Korea( sorry Dennis)

• jimeejohnson - Mar 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Karl Rove, that dick, Cheney, Rush Limbaugh…

• sabatimus - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sabathia?

4. gbar22 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Why do people become so irate when a player answers a question honestly? It’s not like he is going around tweeting all this he is being asked questions and answering them in all honesty. Good for him everyone gets tired of the rehearsed pc answer to the media and then the media rips for speaking the truth. He admits he didnt do his homework he just saw dollar figures. He should have stayed in Tampa sometimes the grass isn’t greener on the other side.

• sabatimus - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

After he signed his Sox contract I always wondered how he’d handle the change in market and attitudes. Because yes, the Boston media has some of the worst people in it. Fully half the reason I’m not reading Terry Francona’s book is because Dan Shaughnessy co-wrote it.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I read the book because I love Tito. The book is terrible because CHB wrote it. Just awful.

Here, let me summarize everything that makes CHB a highly paid columnist and you a commenter on a message board: CHB knows that baseball managers don’t like to be called “coach.” Also, the travel secretary tells CHB things that he doesn’t tell you. That’s it. That’s the list.

I wish Francona had worked with just about anyone else. Francona comes off as a likeable, humble, smart guy. Just not smart enough to not find a better co-author.

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

While I would have loved for him to stay here, Tampa Bay couldn’t afford to pay him what he was worth. I thought from day one that he should have signed with the Angels. California seemed to suit his personality more. He’s a laid-back kind of guy and Cali is a laid back sort of place. The pressure cooker of Boston baseball wasn’t what a laid-back Southern boy needed. Shoot, once you get over $100 million, it’s all funny money. Just go with whichever place will likely make you happier and fits you best, a la Cliff Lee. Longoria never said Crawford’s name, but Longo mentioned that one of the reasons he signed his extension is that some guys have left TB and haven’t been happy, and that’s why he wanted to stay here.

But Craig’s right. CC just needs to be hush now, and let his bat and his feet do the talking. Being healthy and productive is the biggest “eff you” he can give to Boston and their hyperbolic media. He’s not going to win a war of wits with them.

• psousa1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I read the book because I love Tito.

I always liked him as well. The best Red Sox manager in my lifetime and probably will be but one thing I noticed in the book – if you don’t have any connection to major league baseball he believes he has the right to speak to you like you’re sh!t. Apparently if you don’t grow up and around MLB you don’t really ‘Love it’ either. He’s the judge. He seemed obssessed with finding the leaker when apparently I heard in one outlet it was probably the second most quoted guy in the book and it is no longer much of a secret.

When he started his victory lap after the book came out I think he realized he also came off as bitter and not the golly gee whiz type he always seemed to be and started to back off the inflammatory comments against ownership.

The Red Sox will win again before Cleveland and the Cubs ever will. Tito and the Leaker are going to realize just because they were standing on 3rd base doesn’t necessarily mean they hit a triple.

• APBA Guy - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Longo is a SoCal guy, like Utley and Hamels, and he’s pretty laid back, so no doubt Tampa suits him well. I think Utley and Hamels doing well in Philly is a combination of the media there being more balanced and less numerous than Boston and New York, as well as their individual make-up to handle Northeast intensity better than some. Plus they are damn good players. Having lived in the East in DC before coming to SF the upside of the East Coast fans is the intensity of the love they show when you play well. It’s incomparable. Even the Giants here don’t get the same level of adoration as Baltimore used to get when they were a Series winner.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

How did this rumor start about Cliff Lee leaving money on the table? Here were the different offers:

Phi – 5/$120M with a vesting option for $27.5M or an opt out for $12.5M ($24.6M or $26.5M AAV)
        Tex – 6/$120M or 7/$138M ($20M or $19.7M AAV)
        NYY – 6/$132M or 7$148M ($22M or $21.1M AAV)

He took the highest AAV contract, and the vesting option is detailed as such:

option becomes guaranteed if Lee 1) is not on the disabled list at end of 2015 season with injury to left elbow or left shoulder, and 2) has 200 IP in 2015 or 400 IP in 2014-15

• Glenn - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Carl already gave his FU to Boston (fans as well as media) by stinking up the joint for two years. Nobody wanted to see him fail – if he even lived up to half of the contract, we could have been fine with it.

My lasting memory of Carl in Boston will be his tentative (like a nervous Little Leaguer) attempt to catch a line drive that he dropped, helping Boston lose the last game of the 2011 season and secure one of the biggest collapses in baseball history. Whose fault was that Carl?

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

@COPR…AAV is not the highest amount of guaranteed money no matter how many times you want to post it and no matter how many ways. Again…AAV is NOT the largest guaranteed contract. Again…AAV…NOT…MOST…MONEY…GUARANTEED…TOTAL.

Get it. He could have GUARANTEED himself $148 million from the Yankees. He took a GUARANTEED $132.5 million from the Phillies. Period.

AAV would matter to someone like Mike Trout now because he’s a young buck. When you are older, like Lee, and have the chance to get more GUARANTEED money, and you don’t take the GUARANTEED money, then you took less money. Period.

What if the Yankees had offered him 10 years at $200 million. Would you still be saying he didn’t leave money on the table? Because he only passed up $20 million AAV?? LOL.

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Holy shit, I find myself agreeing with you, Chris, on something. I may have to rethink my position. :-)

5. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I’m glad Carl is revealing what he experienced there. I’ll speculate and say there’s even more to this story that’s he may never share. Perhaps on an obscure Monday.

Anyway, whatever he’s sharing today may just be someone else’s homework tomorrow.

6. jibzek - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I really feel bad for Carl. He got paid $20 + million dollars for his year in Boston to put up a great line of .255 .289 .405 .694.

I’m sure Boston wanted a .694 corner outfielder. Good Riddance.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Carl Crawford used to KILL the Red Sox before he got there. He was an exciting, talented, multifaceted player who aged overnight. Anyone who doesn’t recognize that wasn’t watching the Red Sox before Crawford arrived. Dude once stole, like, seven bases in a single game against us. Ate us alive.

I wish him well. I hope he returns to form in LA. Great player. Exciting to watch.

• jibzek - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM

18th street. He stole those bases against Tim Wakefield and either Tek or Mirabelli. The Sox couldn’t throw anybody out during those seasons and Wake was one of the worst.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Was Tim Wakefield on the Red Sox? Because I could swear that bases stolen against Tim Wakefield would count.

7. poprox13 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:13 PM

And your time in Boston made the fans miserable, now go away

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:55 PM

From the outside looking in, it seems like most of these people were already miserable long before Carl arrived.

• andrewproughcfe - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I wanna make a bunch of accounts so that I can sign into all of them and like this comment.

• zachcomtois - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

8. cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Totally disagree, Craig. Like Francona before him, Crawford is better off doing this than not. The alternative is to let them trash you and never say anything. What purpose does that serve? The Boston Media deserves a good kick and if enough players go out there and give them that kick they’ll stop acting like a collection of jackals.

• sabatimus - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I agree in theory, but in practice what would the “kick” be? This is the Boston media’s bread and butter: negative press and the creation of it.

This may be a stretch, but I think the general negative attitude surrounding Boston comes directly from the Puritans, who distrusted and persecuted anyone who didn’t believe as precisely as they did.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Ever seen the media consume themselves? I saw it happen in Australia once. It was glorious. Revolved around that American fireman who was lost in the desert for months. When he was found by a media team in a helicopter, the Network spent one week interviewing him and then the next week trashing him. Eventually someone released a tape of the media helicopter that found the guy, emaciated, dying of thirst & crazed form loneliness, being laughed at and blackmailed by the media members. They were negotiating the rights to the story, filming him throwing up inappropriate food they’d given him, and verging on threatening to leave him out there if he didn’t agree to sign over exclusive interview rights to them. It was sickening. The network got pilloried by their colleagues and the public over it.

If enough players speak up, the same backlash could happen to those members of the Boston Media who persist in engaging in tabloid journalism.

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Craig is right. He’s not going to win this war of words. Crawford isn’t the most articulate chap and right now, he’s just feeding the beast. Stuff like this is like ‘roids to the Boston media. What he needs to do is get healthy, and let a line .290/.350/.480 with 30+ SB do the talking. I am really, really pulling for him.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yeah, I’m rooting for him, too. But in order to back up his words, he’s got to have some words to back up. So, here it is. Now he can go play and be someone who deserved a better chance than he got in Boston.

All this also serves another end. At some point it has to be said that the Boston Media prefers the team to be losers. They seem to do everything possible to sew discord and hype dysfunction. Why? Because that sells their crap articles. If they’re never called on it, they think they can keep on getting away with it. Its not only Crawford who’s pointed this out either. Ortiz, Pedroia, Becket, Francona, Epstein…all pretty much say the same thing. The media creates problems for the team. Other cities don’t need to engage in tabloid work to get people engaged in the local sports. HBT has a loyal and voluminous following and you rarely see the kind of hatchet jobs here that you see out of Boston media.

I say, speak up about it. If you’re Carl Crawford what do you have to lose? They’ve already ladled their bile all over the place: its the difference between bile covering you head-to-foot and MORE bile covering you head-to-foot. So what? At least you can say “Look at THIS crap!”

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:05 PM

The difference between Crawford and the other people you mentioned (Francona, Ortiz, Beckett, Pedroia etc) is that at least they have a record of success with the Red Sox. Crawford does not. One could argue that the media’s negativity towards him was due to his poor performance there. I know the Boston media likes to sow discord like a kid playing divorced parents against each other, but Crawford doesn’t have any ground to stand on… yet.

All Crawford is doing right now is helping their papers sell and increasing clicks on their websites. Show it. Then, if you must, say it.

• El Bravo - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

“They seem to do everything possible to sew discord and hype dysfunction. Why? Because that sells their crap articles.”

I’m advocating the devil a bit here, but I agree with you and take it a bit further than your quote above. Specifically, this will sell their crap articles, which in turn, gets linked on sites nationwide (such as HBT), which in turn, provides more clicks from readers. Therefore, there is clearly an incentive for the HBTs and the like to have Boston papers (and other towns) continue to push this garbage. No matter if this site agrees with the Boston media reports, they surely can’t argue that it gets more clicks. So yeah, Craig is biased on this issue by definition and therefore his testimony is inadmissable.

• El Bravo - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:18 PM

…also I agree he may as well be vocal about it. I don’t think that hurts Carl’s fanbase in LA any. That said, and to Craig’s inferred point, if he talks on the field so-to-speak, that will carry way more weight than talking with his mouth. I’m rooting for him to bounce back big just to stick it to Boston.

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

No, talking won’t hurt his fan base in LA, but it does help Boston papers by helping to sell more of them and driving clicks to their sites. Speak softly and carry a big stick, Carl.

• El Bravo - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Did I mention I’m not a fan of Nick Swisher? tee hee hee

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Tell me how you REALLY feel about Swisher. I’m still not sure….

• El Bravo - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I think we should send him to North Korea to conduct the next round of overrated athlete/Kim Jung Un peace negotations. It’s a win-win. Either we have longlasting peace or Swish gets put in a North Korean prison camp. Thank you folks and good night!

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM

That’s not a bad idea. Swisher’s positivity might work its magic and make the North Koreans back down. Heck, they liked Dennis Rodman. With your luck, Swisher will negotiate long lasting peace and win the Nobel Peace Prize to add to his great wealth, World Series ring, and beautiful wife.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Just to cap it off, they’d re-name the NPP “The Mr. Swisher-Sunshine, Bro Prize”. Best thing for you, Bravo, if Swish just stays in Cleveland spreading the joy…bro.

9. number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Every so often i go back to this post and laugh and beantown

• sabatimus - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That’s fine. But that just reminds me of the HUGE favor the Dodgers did the Sox.

10. Jack Marshall - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Boston media love it when you play well and win games, don’t love it when you don’t. Crawford had no excuse for 2011; he showed nothing all year. In fact, I thought both the fans and the media were easy on him (compare J.D. Drew’s first season), because until September, it looked like the Sox would win in spite of Crawford. If Crawford had contributed anything at all positively during last season’s train wreck, he would have read very little critical. His complaint is ridiculous.

11. tfbuckfutter - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Absolutely ridiculous.

The media LOVED him….until he took the field.

And then throw in a falling apart body so he couldn’t even get ON the field to be terrible and maybe you can figure out why everyone in Boston hates you dickweed.

12. buffalomafia - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Another year of injuries!!!!

13. yankeesgameday - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Of course boston knew what they were getting, they hired a private investigator to follow him around, take pictures and go through his trash. Scum bags.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Hi, Dave Winfield’s on the line for you, YankeesGameDay. He wants to chat.

14. illegalblues - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Crawford is right, the Boston media is one of the most childish journalism entities in sports. His comments do not make up for the lack of production he had while healthy, though. Hope he turns it around in LA.

15. El Bravo - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

“Boston’s gonna Boston and everyone else needs to deal with it or move on.” I agree that Boston sucks and that we should move on from caring what Bostonians think.

• illegalblues - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

right on

16. losanginsight - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Welcome to LA Carl. You couldn’t have put it any better.

17. kgsmith - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Is this the same Carl Crawford that signed a 7 year deal worth $142 million that did not play half the time he was in Boston? Shut the F up.. I think you owe Boston an apology with a check made out to John Henry..

18. kw27p - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Hello mcfly anybody home? You signed for 20 mil per. Did u honestly think if u sucked,they would leave u alone and not call u out? C’mon man. This wAsnt TB where they don’t know they even have a team

19. jkaflagg - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Crawford’s comment about not doing his “homework” is sincere, although he’d been traveling there with the Rays for years….guess he just put on his headphones when he came to town.

But the “media” excuse really wears thin….did a sportswriter jump out of the press box and fan him with a 98 mph fast ball ? Did a radio host make a great running catch to rob him of extra bases ? Nobody likes whiners, and I’m sure the Dodgers prefer that he simply defer on any questions about Boston, other than thanking them for overpaying him…..

20. ranoversquarells - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Some people are just mental midgets and it showed during CC’d tenure in Boston. Not everyone is capable of handling such pressure …

We need more Trot Nixon’s, and less CCs …

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Trot Nixon, slugging percentage by year. Lefty-righty splits:

Trot Nixon was not the player we wished he was going to be. He just wasn’t.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I love that someone is complaining about Crawford, a guy who couldn’t stay healthy, by comparing him to Trot Nixon, who played 150 games once. Once. Magnificent.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

thanks for the laugh. In 10 years Nixon played a total of 1077 games, or 108 a year.

• rjostewart - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

This reads like a bad parody of the stereotype of Red Sox fans. Pining for Trot Nixon? Really?

21. giselleisasucubus - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The media and the fans were more than supportive with Crawford. I don’t know what he is talking about, but seriously, there was nothing negative about him. People in New England wanted him to succeed. He should just shut his mouth and try to get back on the field to earn that salary.

22. buddaley - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I see this statement:

“He takes responsibility for his poor on-field performance during his Red Sox career, which ended abruptly, first with the Tommy John surgery that is still slowing him this spring, then with the trade to the Dodgers that finally sent him to Southern California.”

And I see this statement:

“I get it, I didn’t perform,” he said. “I got the money. I didn’t perform. I gave them every reason.”

Where does he blame the media for his bad performance? He certainly says they made him miserable, and perhaps there is an implication that was a reason for his failures, but he certainly does not say that is so.

What he was known for in TB was his work ethic. He came to baseball with a football background and made himself into a good player. He was always a bit sensitive, but never a problem and never one to shirk responsibility.

He had one poor year in TB but put that behind him and followed with two of his best years. For a player with his particular tools, even a minor injury can be catastrophic.

Smart organizations support players whom they value knowing they have a better chance that way of wringing that value out of them. Poorly run organizations either trash them or allow them to become scapegoats for the team’s failures, thus ensuring misery and more failure. They then justify such stupidity by claiming their approach is the manly one, weeding out the weak. And fans fall for that nonsense in many cases.

23. profootballwalk - Mar 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

This guy is a total fraud. Boston has the typical scum sportswriters but this guy wasn’t exactly crucified. Boston is a place where baseball matters – unlike most of the markets around the country. When I see a non-Red Sox game on television, there are generally thousands of empty seats. And when the Red Sox play away games, the cheers for Red Sox home runs are generally just as loud as for the home town team. People in Boston plan their vacations to travel to away games, and try to go to a game in every ballpark in the country. That’s the difference between Boston and your town.

When Crawford signed his contract, he knew the deal. He knew that in Boston, you can’t show up, take a paycheck, and disappear. Baseball in Boston is like NASCAR in Alabama and high school football in Texas – people care. Crawford was one of those guys who wilts under the hot lights – it has nothing to do with writers trashing him. Some guys just don’t have what it takes to play in Boston – just like some musicians can’t perform in front of a big audience. Baseball is full of these guys – they just want to show up at the park, go through the motions, and cash a check. Boston don’t play that.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Yep. Totally choked in the 2008 ALCS. No, wait.

Carl Crawford was a great player. Red Sox fans, of all people, should know that. He used to KILL us.

24. sidelineshot - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Is CC getting better? Or is it going to take another year and another 20 million for HER to finally perform?

25. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Carl Crawford is right, and overpaid.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5305)