Corey Hart: coolest baseball player on the planet, scorpion expert

Mar 7, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT

Batman logo

I’m at the Brewers’ complex and I just got done talking to Corey Hart. For the second straight year he’s on crutches while I’m here, so that kind of stinks. But he’s having an MRI tomorrow. Assuming it’s all good he’ll be able to start the slow march back to playing condition.  And he’s optimistic that it’ll be a clean MRI. He’s feeling good.

The important thing here, however, is that he and I talked about Batman for a while. It was gonna happen. I’m wearing a Batman t-shirt today. He has a big Batman tattoo on his forearm and down his spine he has the worlds “Why so serious?” That’s some quality.  I did notice, however, that on the back of each hand he has a Superman-esque tattoo, one with his first initial in the shield, one with his wife’s. I had to ask:

“You’re sending some mixed signals here. Which is it: Batman or Superman?” I asked.

“Batman, definitely,” He said.

“Why Batman?”

“Because he’s a normal person without super powers but still does what he does. And he’s a good example. There are a lot of rich people. They don’t all do good things. Batman uses his money to fight evil.”

Can’t argue with that.

He then went to grab his phone to show me pictures of his extensive super hero action figure collection, which he has literally hanging on walls in the packages. We were interrupted, though, because some other reporters needed to ask him about baseball and things. As if that were important. Hart told me he’d catch me later to show me the collection, which he’s quite excited about.  MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy was there and as we walked out he told me that he’s seen the collection and that it’s impressive. I can’t wait.

Just before the Batman conversation Hart held court about Doug Melvin’s encounter with the scorpion. Hart, who makes his home in Arizona, is something of an expert on scorpions, and he talked about how one does and does not dispose of them in the home. He didn’t put too fine a point on it, but he made it pretty clear that Melvin did not go about it the right way.

“You don’t grab them,” Hart said. “You hit ‘em with a hammer. They’re tough. Try to squish them and they’re still going to sting you.”

I’m not sure if Batman ever fought a villain named The Scorpion, but if he did, I bet he knows that.

1. sfm073 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Oh gee golly that is so cool.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:56 AM

nothing like two boys talking about Super hero’s……………..
      I always liked Aqua Man myself………..
      who was the jerk off asking baseball questions when you boy’s were talking Super Hero’s….
      we want names!

2. The Common Man - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Scorpion is a Spider-Man villain. You’re mixing up your comic book universes, Craig. Get your head in the game.

3. cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Spiderman fought The Scorpion. . .not that I’d know anything so nerdy as THAT! In fact, I’m just guessing. . .wait! Look over there!
    /runs away…

4. chacochicken - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Who exactly, apparently besides Bob Melvin, thinks that one should “squish” a scorpion with their hands? I feel like that is natural selection taking place. Although the story is great because next season we will have the most improbable Spring Training injury ever when Corey Hart tears his meniscus while chasing a scorpion around the house with a claw hammer.

• uwsptke - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Doug, not Bob. As a Brewers fan, we see this quite often. Look for a headline like this near the trade deadline: “Tigers call Brewers GM Bob Melvin regarding the availability of John Axford.” Happens all the time.

• chacochicken - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I’m talking about a completely different Melvin recently admitted to a Phoenix area hospital for a scorpion sting. But noted nonetheless.

• cebig - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Ummm still Doug sorry Chaco……

• chacochicken - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Cmon, you can’t think I’m serious. If I learned one thing from my father it was never ever admit you are wrong, ever.

• gogigantos - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Chaco,
        I learned young not to trust authority or anyone over 30, including him.
        that has left me in an awkward spot with myself for years.
        I was also taught to jump in the ditch at night when a car was coming no matter what we were doing just because no one needed to know what we were, or weren’t doing.
        I was probably in trouble from the start, though I didn’t know it then.

• gogigantos - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Those were core lessons as well as never admit being wrong and deny everything always, of course.
        No wonder really that we still have trust issues with each other.

5. mybrunoblog - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Very cool when pro athletes can be super hero geeks like many of us are. Hart has some serious $ so his collection is probably nuts. All that AND he known to wear sunglasses at night. A+ Calcaterra.

6. zzalapski - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ask him if he gets Mat Gamel to help him re-enact the Justice League’s greatest battles with the action figures.

• jolink653 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Mat Gamel grabbed Thor for battle, and then promptly injured himself

• uwsptke - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Thumbs up if you’re nerdy enough to identify the problem with this response.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I don’t know what you mean. Marvel Characters engaging in DC Justice League battles aren’t something someone as cool as I would know anything about.

sniffs, adjusts monocle, hides piles of comic books

7. darthicarus - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I think an interview asking an athlete about something other than the sport they play is far more entertaining as they can actually be honest about what they are being asked. Most athletes won’t bad mouth a teammate that blows a game, or which players shouldn’t be on the team, or give answers that fans want to hear & everyone knows the athlete is thinking.

So I for one would enjoy an article about Hart & his toy collection, a nice change of pace.

• jarathen - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Exactly right. Baseball questions get canned baseball answers. Questions about Batman get Bat-answers. Doesn’t take a genius to know which answers are better.

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Sounds like the character portrayed by Steve Carrell in “The 40 Year Old Virgin”

9. historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

For the next time you find yourself driving through the Frying Pan…

10. buffalomafia - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

What a crappy story! Can you report of anything else that is going on in spring training?

11. westcoastredbird - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

The ugliest guy I’ve ever seen since Popeye Jones!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4031)