Delmon Young completes 10-day community service sentence for his April hate crime arrest

Mar 7, 2013, 10:37 PM EDT

delmon young getty Getty Images

Delmon Young agreed to 10 days of community service after he was charged with committing a hate crime outside the New York Hilton last April. Now comes word that his sentence has been served.

Young’s agent, Joel Wolfe, told FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal that Young completed his community service in Manhattan during the month of January. Young’s tasks included “sweeping leaves” and “picking up trash” around different parts of the city.

Young, who shouted an anti-Semitic slur at a man and then pushed him to the ground while intoxicated, also paid a visit to the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles. The hate crime charge will be vacated at his next court hearing on May 13 as long as he doesn’t get into any legal trouble between now and then.

“The entire experience changed his life,” Wolfe told Rosenthal on Thursday evening.

Young signed a one-year, $750,000 free agent contract with the Phillies this offseason. He underwent ankle surgery in November and is not expected to join Philadelphia’s starting lineup until late April or May.

1. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Somehow this sounds like a missed opportunity for me. I gladly would’ve followed him around each and every day while taunting this bigoted piece of garbage. There really should’ve been a public notice.

• thebadguyswon - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I’m sure you would have.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Didn’t you hear? Randy’s a REAL tough guy.

Just ask him…he’ll tell you how tough he is.

2. historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I really hope this is true and Young has grown from the consequences of his mistake. That is the best outcome and greatly to be desired.

(PS Thanks, Drew, for our daily dose of former Tigers awesomeness. <3 )

3. Walk - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

So 10 days community service for verbal and physical assault and his record will be cleared as well. I am stunned at that sentence but then again i was stunned when roger mcdowell did not lose his job as well so maybe i need to adjust my thinking.

• kopy - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

It was a horrible thing, but the justice system tries to rehabilitate before punishment. 10 days spent picking up trash and reflecting on the time he got so drunk he called someone a slur and pushed them is enough to get most people to not do it again. Isn’t that the point?

It’s also important to note he had a clean record prior to this (if I’m wrong about that then yeah he should have gotten more). Young also got more punishment as a public figure that will suffer from this for the rest of his carer, even though his record will be cleared, which is something John Doe doesn’t have to worry about.

I’m mostly just playing devil’s advocate here, and I don’t like Delmon Young either, but the judge’s decision seems rational.

4. josephdj9 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I think I am super cynical; I’d think if it really changed his life it would not be his agent that said “Wow this really changed his life”. I think it would be him saying something like “This has been really life changing; I am ashamed for my actions; I will try to be a better person in the future” instead I bet it went something like this:

Delmon to agent “go out there and say something that shows I have changed; oh and if you pass the fridge on the way don’t be afraid to grab a beer and bring it back to me; I’m kinda thirsty.”

• recoveringcubsfan - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I would tend to agree – if you are actually contrite and also are not a complete idiot whose mouth gets him into trouble everytime a microphone is near it, then you’d at least have the integrity to make your own statement. But this is Delmon Young, who is by all accounts a turd. So, the world is probably better off not knowing what vile thoughts he has about all this. His agent, while no doubt well paid, must be living in, oh, let’s say the 10th circle of hell: Stupid Every Day.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Or….if it did have an effect (I am actually dubious of this claim, having known many 100s of bigots, small things like this usually have little effect on deeply rooted views), he would remain quiet and let his actions demonstrate the fact rather than releasing a statement or holding a news conference.

If someone bothers to hold a news conference to announce something, you can count on them being mostly concerned with you seeing them say it, rather than sincerity in the statement itself. In other words, news conferences are “hey, look at me” moments and generally don’t reflect reality.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Was it a press conference? I thought it was just something his agent said to the reporter.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I think that is all it was….that or a “statement” released through his agent. My comment was directed at people that seem to think getting behind a podium and talking means something or should be required. Being a public figure does not mean that every aspect of life should be done in public.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

See my above. :)

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Ooops! Below.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I like to bust on Svelte Delmon Young too, but I’m really hoping that this is not something he engineered — rather, I hope that the reporter had a conversation with his agent who gave his view on his own (or even his spin on his own). It’s likely Young’s agent has told him NOT to talk publicly and just stick to staying out of trouble and playing ball. I don’t think anyone would believe it if he said that stuff himself anyway — and his agent probably knows that.

This is not me going easy on Young — it’s me hoping that we’ve made some progress against anti-Semitism and that people can change.

5. baseballisboring - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I don’t really believe in booing players…but if I saw this guy walking down the street (and I was at a safe distance), I would boo him. Delmon should be booed in his personal life.

• blacksables - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:50 PM

How would your booing of him because of your personal perception of him be any different than his use of a word against another person because of his perception of them?

I’m not condoning what he did, but how does you committing the same act you condemn him of make you a better person?

And if you say it’s because he used a word that is a slur, how is the sound of our booing different than the sound of his word?

You can’t be a better person by being the same person.

6. pisano - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 AM

He did what he had to do to complete his sentence, but remember this: “The Leopard shed his fur, but never the spots”

7. tfbuckfutter - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I have no way of cleverly calling him fat given the information provided.

This is not the way a Delmon Young article should go.

• jjschiller - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Oh, you’re just not trying hard enough. Work off the “this entire experience has changed his life,” part. There’s a fat joke there, you just gotta find it.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4017)