Derek Jeter gets “final clearance” on surgically-repaired ankle

Mar 7, 2013, 8:33 PM EDT

jeter getty Getty Images

Finally some positive news out of Yankees camp.

According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, veteran shortstop Derek Jeter was given “final clearance” on Thursday afternoon in North Carolina from the doctor that performed his ankle surgery in late October. In other words, Jeter is free to perform all baseball-related activities and can begin playing in Grapefruit League games without any restrictions.

The Yankees have said that Jeter will make his spring debut on March 10 — this Sunday — against the Blue Jays. And they can now stick to that date with a good amount of confidence that everything will go smoothly.

Jeter batted .316/.362/.429 with 15 home runs, 58 RBI and 99 runs scored over 159 games last season for New York. The 38-year-old will probably make close to 50 plate appearances in the Grapefruit League.

1. badintent - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Minka Kelly is stoked ! and simmering………………………..

2. proudlycanadian - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM

The Yankees were due to have some good news. Lets hope that he stays healthy and continues to pound out those singles. They need him to be on base when Granderson and Tex eventually come to the plate.

3. tfbuckfutter - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The best news is that the doctor said it won’t affect his range in the field one-iota.

It’ll still be terrible.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Geez downvoters….

It’s not like I said he wasn’t still going to win Gold Glove because he dove into the stands in the playoffs once 8 years ago….

Settle down.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Please know both posts were funny. I think the 2nd one might have been more funny.
        Don’t sweat it. A lot of sensitive Yankee fans apparantly. Well…and Philiac.
        But she is in a bad mood today. I pissed her off 1st thing this morning.
        We are gonna’ have to overlook her….”pissedoffness.” It’s on me.

• stex52 - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I believe the rest of the joke goes, “but will he be able to play the violin?”

4. kev86 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I feel old

5. skinsovieterps - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

He needs to go on a diet, fat sloth.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I am confused about something.
      Are you saying you like the Redskins, Terrapins and the Soviets?

Please type your response slowly so I understand.

6. skinsovieterps - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

He needs to go on a diet, fat sloth.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Maybe if I repeat myself it will be funny.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Well…..?

Are you gonna repeat yourself so we can see?

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Maybe if I repeat myself it will be funny.

7. mrfloydpink - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I wonder if the doctor who cleared him got a gift basket.

8. buffalomafia - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Good luck!!!

9. stlouis1baseball - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Well…I sure am happy to hear the ole’ Captain got clearance.
    I mean…I was really concerned about it. Worried…and…stuff.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5181)