Dominican Republic routs Venezuela 9-3 in WBC

Mar 7, 2013, 11:36 PM EST

Robinson Cano Getty Images

Robinson Cano went 3-for-5 with two doubles and three RBI and Hanley Ramirez added a long homer as the Dominican Republic torched Venezuela 9-3 in the start of Pool C play.

The Dominican team jumped out to a 3-0 lead off Anibal Sanchez in the bottom of the first, only to see the game halted by a 50-minute rain delay. When play resumed, both Sanchez and Dominican starter Edinson Volquez were gone from the game. However, the Dominican offense just kept scoring, adding two runs off Cesar Jimenez and four off Jhoulys Chacin.

Venezuela managed just two runs in the third and one in the fourth before being shut down for the rest of the night. Pedro Strop ended up with the win after retiring all five batters he faced. Santiago Casilla and Fernando Rodney finished the game with scoreless innings.

Pablo Sandoval doubled in two of Venezuela’s three runs. Miguel Cabrera was quiet, going 0-for-4 with a walk.

The Dominican offense got four hits from Jose Reyes and two RBI apiece from Nelson Cruz and Alejandro De Aza. Carlos Santana walked in all four of his plate appearances.

The convincing victory should give the Dominican Republic an easy path to Round 2. Even if the D.R., Venezuela and Puerto Rico all end up 2-1, the D.R. has a big head start in the tiebreaker. Spain and Puerto Rico are the next game up in Pool C on Friday. Saturday will feature the Dominican Republic versus Spain and Puerto Rico versus Venezuela.

1. historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

That was a spanking. :( Booooo!

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

That was definitely an after-school nun paddling. I thought the game would be a lot closer.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Me too. Our pitching wasn’t so great. We needed King Felix. :( Dotel pitching to Miggy was funny though. We left too many on base.

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Why isn’t King Felix pitching in the WBC?

Did you watch any Italy-Mexico? That was such an exciting game. Grilli was so pumped on the mound. I’m getting more into this WBC than I thought. I wasn’t against the idea like many naysayers on the message boards but I didn’t think I would get excited about the games. It feels so good to have competitive baseball back and these guys are playing hard. Any baseball fans who give it a chance, I think, will be pleasantly surprised.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Agreed. It was great to see a game where they took the pitcher out when he sucked and played some strategy. I was jonesing and I didn’t know it. Plus, that was like an All-Star game, really. Felix withdrew after he signed his new mega-contract. Booooooo!!!

I didn’t catch the other game.

2. mudhead123 - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:10 AM

Cano is starting off solid

• natslady - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Yes. Did you see the glove-flip doubleplay? Hanley also looked very energized (all the DR players did). If he played like that more often no one would question his “effort.”

3. vipdeportes - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:42 AM

You can follow all the news about WBC in Vipdeporte.com in Spanish..

4. proudlycanadian - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Ramirez and Reyes had great games. I wonder how Loria feels about that.

• takavl - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Looty Loria will furiously pay a hack to type up another whiny missive telling Miami fans that they ought to be grateful for the screw-job…

5. Francisco (FC) - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Well, the Dominican players at least aren’t dragging their legs. You can tell they like representing their country. Score 1 for the WBC (And with Venezuela it was bound to be energetic, lots of rivalry there from the Caribbean series).

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It was a spirited game. I had it on in the background last night. You know our peeps know how to have fun at a game.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Ours too, but it’s not as fun when it’s a blowout. I think it was still 5-3 it was more energetic. You could hear the Venezuelan dugout deflate with a loud hiss and a pop after it went 9-3.

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

When I said “our peeps”, I was being inclusive of all Latinos. I know Venezuelans can get down.

Yeah, when the game became a blow out, it wasn’t as much fun.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester