Italian Sausage Wins, and other observations from Maryvale Park

Mar 7, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT

Like I said: they have a bit of Milwaukee here:

source:

It was a nice enough day, though a little sleepy. The Brewers have so many people away at the WBC that even their home lineup looked a lot like a road lineup for most spring training games. Something called Scooter Gennett led off. Because every single Brewers first baseman since Cecil Cooper is injured, Alex Gonzalez played first base — and made some sweet plays there. The always-intimidating Khris Davis hit cleanup. As I’m typing this it’s tied 2-2 in the top of the seventh. The most notable event involved an apparent injury to Dbacks’ leadoff hitter Tony Campana, who stole second base in the first inning and left the game when he was apparently spiked.

Beyond that: not the sort of game where you could tell anything about either team. It seems like we’re getting more of those as the WBC gears up and players are realizing that they still have over three weeks of spring training to get through. The initial enthusiasm has waned a bit.

But it’s still baseball. And in my last full day here tomorrow I plan to take in two more games. One as press, one as a fan. With the expected reports to follow.

OK, they just did the seventh inning stretch. Easily the most enthusiastic crowd participation since I’ve been here, followed by the de riguer “Beer Barrel Polka.”  So not everyone is flagging.

source:

1. cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

That race was win-win: when a sausage wins, we all win. Glad the big fella’s back racing after his harrowing ordeal being kidnapped and all. I imagine Wilson Ramos and he can share a beer and reminisce over their days as captives.

I wonder what our old friend halladaysbicepts would have said about the Great Sausage Napping? I wonder if he’d have decried Americans for their wanton acts of savagery towards Racing Italian Sausages? I can just hear him now: “America !?!? A place where a sausage isn’t safe on its own! If you can’t let a sausage be, then you shouldn’t be here, America!”

Ah, the season of ‘cepts…those were good times..

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM

GOD BLESS AMERICAAAAAAA/LAND THAT I LOOOOOOOVE/STAND BESIDE HER/AND GUIDE HER/THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A LIGHT FROM ABOOOOOOOOVE

FROM THE MOUNTAINS/TO THE PRAIRIES/TO THE OCEANS WHITE WITH FOOOOOOOOAAAAAAM/GOD BLESS AMERICAAAAAAAA/MY HOME SWEET HOOOOOOOOOME

GOOOOD BLESS AAAAAMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAAA MY HOOOOME SWEET HOOOOOOOME

freaking Taliban

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

You should post this at the start of every HBT day. Just to be more patriotic than everyone else. That’s the name of the game after all.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Which do you think would piss people off more: changing it from God to Jobu or just singing This Land Is Your Land instead?

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Oh definitely switching out to Jobu. You get two easily irritated demographics at once that way.

• paperlions - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Shouldn’t that song be updated to: From the mountains, to the corn fields, to the oceans, black with oil

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Maybe you could pantomime choking out at the end — I know the people in the seats around you would love that.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM

BTW, I would really love if Craig posted pics of him and the sausage out on a bender tonight. Ah, yes, I would relish that.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Craig aint got the mustard or the onions to hang with Guido.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Oh yeah. Guido would leave him in the dust and he’d never ketchup.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Yep. He’d be in a pickle, all right. I imagine that when he goes out to eat, Guido orders “two Calcaterras with everything”. The eats them both in one bite.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I could see that — Calcaterra’s a sausage magnet.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Saw a youtube clip of Guido doing The Harlem Shuffle. Think Craig can Harlem Shuffle? I bet he barely manage an Ohio Shuffle.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

He can probably do an old man shuffle.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I’m sure he disagrees with us. he’s reached that age where a fell has something to prove. After all, he’s on that paleo-diet thingy and he’s had a good pep talk from Hunter Pence. I imagine he’s somewhere in Arizona reading this and trying to bust a move with an angry scowl on his face and his WPA hat turned to 1430 hours. I hope he doesn’t hurt himself.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Without a kraut. He’s made it this far without a spring training injury. We don’t need any last minute mishaps involving fanny-packs, drunken Batman impressions, or Geezers Gone Wild antics.

2. losangelesfan - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM

For a minute there I thought this was another post about Tommy LaSorda.

3. bla bla bla - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Something called Scooter Gennett? Very poor form, Craig. I daresay you owe the young man an apology.

• petey1999 - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Seriously, Craig. Is this really who you want to be as a baseball writer?

• proudlycanadian - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Craig was possibly suffering from sunstroke. I am sure that he did not actually intend to insult Scooter’s mom and dad.

• Craig Calcaterra - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Yes, because I clearly meant to dehumanize him rather than to comment on how anonymous he is to most baseball fans. Malice was so very clearly in my heart.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I thought it was funny, m’self. And, do you think he has a sister named Vespa?

• bla bla bla - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I didn’t think of it as dehumanization or find any malice in it… I just thought it was a slight. A really crappy slight, but no more than a slight nonetheless.

Your response, though, is absolutely glowing; in a Florio-esque kind of way. Perhaps a little more bran in your diet…

4. crankyfrankie - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

No story with a Cecil Cooper reference can be bad.

5. padraighansen - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM

And That Scooter….”thing” is why the Brewers will trade Rickie Weeks in the next 12 months.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4105)