Mar 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
This is not a preview of tomorrow night’s WBC matchup. I’m really just saying that I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been pretty WBC resistant of late, and I still quibble with its importance and place in the grand scheme of baseball, but there are a lot of things that are unimportant yet still fun. Indeed, most fun things fit that description if you’re living life properly. And based on the buzz on the ground here in Phoenix, USA-Mexico is gonna be a hoot.
Rather than get a press pass I got tickets, and I am going to with my friends Connor and Voros. If you’ve followed my Arizona exploits these past couple of years you’ll remember those two from that time we almost got beat up because someone thought we were racists. And the time we met the guy with the gigantic head wound who said that if he had a time machine the first thing he’d do is travel back and prevent women from getting the right to vote. Really, when I come here I have nine days of peace in the desert and then one day with Connor and Voros in which I come face to face with death and horror.
So you can imagine things are going to go totally well on Friday night. Especially when Conor and I independently came up with the idea to dress in green and lustily cheer for Mexico over the Americans as a means of pissing off the Arizonans. It should be quite the scene, man. If we survive the night I’ll be sure to give you a report.
But that’s tomorrow. Today: I’m going to Maryvale to take in the Brewers and Diamondbacks. Maryvale Ballpark, as many have noted, is in something of a bad neighborhood. You might even say it’s gritty. In which case I give Kirk Gibson and the Dbacks a distinct advantage in today’s contest.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)