Looking forward to USA vs. Mexico

Mar 7, 2013, 8:23 AM EST

Mexico Flag

This is not a preview of tomorrow night’s WBC matchup. I’m really just saying that I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been pretty WBC resistant of late, and I still quibble with its importance and place in the grand scheme of baseball, but there are a lot of things that are unimportant yet still fun. Indeed, most fun things fit that description if you’re living life properly. And based on the buzz on the ground here in Phoenix, USA-Mexico is gonna be a hoot.

Rather than get a press pass I got tickets, and I am going to with my friends Connor and Voros. If you’ve followed my Arizona exploits these past couple of years you’ll remember those two from that time we almost got beat up because someone thought we were racists. And the time we met the guy with the gigantic head wound who said that if he had a time machine the first thing he’d do is travel back and prevent women from getting the right to vote.  Really, when I come here I have nine days of peace in the desert and then one day with Connor and Voros in which I come face to face with death and horror.

So you can imagine things are going to go totally well on Friday night. Especially when Conor and I independently came up with the idea to dress in green and lustily cheer for Mexico over the Americans as a means of pissing off the Arizonans. It should be quite the scene, man.  If we survive the night I’ll be sure to give you a report.

But that’s tomorrow. Today: I’m going to Maryvale to take in the Brewers and Diamondbacks. Maryvale Ballpark, as many have noted, is in something of a bad neighborhood. You might even say it’s gritty. In which case I give Kirk Gibson and the Dbacks a distinct advantage in today’s contest.

1. vanquish0916 - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

We would also have accepted: “So pumped for USA vs Mexico, you guys!”

2. uyf1950 - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Actually I’m looking more forward to seeing how Nova does in his 2nd outing of this ST against the Cardinals. He looked very good in his 1st outing and Phelps is keeping the pressure on him to perform to win the 5th spot in the rotation. I hate to admit it but to say I have very little interest in the WBC even that would be an exaggeration.

3. 4d3fect - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM

We liked the ballpark complex at Maryvale. Saw Kershaw pitch just before his first full season (had good stuff obviously).

Food was great, hung out with some of the sausages after the race, the tailgating scene was happening, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Didn’t hang out in the neighborhood, only ’cause we don’t normally do that when attending games.

4. sophiethegreatdane - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Bro! I’m totally stoked for the game, bro!

said in my finest Nick Swisher voice

5. jm91rs - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Not sure about Mexican passion for baseball, but if it’s even remotely close to soccer you’re in for an intense atmosphere. I’ve been to 3 USA vs. Mexico soccer matches and I’m telling you those fans hate Americans more than you can imagine (forget the fact that they likely live here if they’re watching games here). I’ve always felt like when the fans are into a game it makes the game so much better, so hopefully you see a good one.

Not sure about your choice to wear Mexico colors. I know you’re not taking it seriously, but even as a joke I probably couldn’t be so unpatriotic.

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:08 AM

It should be an intense atmosphere. Soccer is much bigger than baseball to most Mexicans, but they like their baseball too.

Wear the colors, Craig (not that the pretense of appearing unpatriotic would stop him). I look forward to hearing what kind of wacky shenanigans you get into this time. Just be sure to carry ID, and try not to get your ass kicked.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM

If the color you wear is a measure of your patriotism, it is shallow indeed. You want I should post some pictures for you of various American patriots not wearing red, white, and blue? Also, maybe someday you can sit next to me at a game and enjoy it when I don’t stand and salute for the national anthem (and complain aaaaallllll the way through freaking God Bless America).

• jm91rs - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Colors are not a measure of your patriotism, but there is something to be said about the guy that does something with the sole purpose of pissing off others. That guy usually has a great time and nothing happens, I’ve just never been a big fan of “that guy”.

As an American fan, wearing Mexico gear is a measure of your devotion to your team. I believe it says nothing of your devotion to your country, but the fact is there’s no scenario where I chose Mexico over America, even as a joke. The fact that most people don’t give a damn about the WBC makes it ok, but rest assured, a few beers in and a few American fans won’t find it very amusing. Which of course will be very amusing to Craig and company.

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I complain during God Bless America too. Haven’t we already established love of country during the beginning of the game? We have to do it, again, during the stretch? Did we forget? Maybe we should sing it in between every inning so we don’t forget. Every half inning? Would that make us more patriotic? I think next time I will sing the song from the moment the game starts until the game ends to prove I love my country more than anyone else in the stadium. If anyone dares complain, I will simply tell them that they are less patriotic than I am.

I am so stoked for DR vs. Venezuela tonight. You wearing your Venezuela colors? Red, white, and blue are the DR’s colors so they’re the same colors from my every day attire, just like Stephen Colbert recommends. I love my country so much that wearing any other color ever would be an affront. And also, because I walk around in my Wonder Woman costume every day. What I would do to be in San Juan tonight to watch that game. That’s going to be one fun party.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Wait! I could sing the Star Spangled Banner in Spanish. That’s always a hit. :)

That God Bless America crap is why I personally declared war on the Taliban. I hate them for forcing me into public displays of patriotism. (Well, that and the destruction of historical artifacts.) For the record, the only appropriate song for the stretch is Take Me Out To The Ballgame! *That* should be in the Constitution.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I think you are missing that it’s a political statement and not just a trolling opportunity.

6. innout10 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM

So you’re going to cheer against your country to piss off ppl from Arizona? I mean I’m Canadian so I could really care less but you sound like a guy that should get popped by someone if you’re going to purposely act that way just to bother ppl. Donkey…

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I’m Canadian, too. Know what pisses off people around me at The Hockey? Me singing the anthem in French. I do this because i know all the words in French and but not in English. It seems no matter what a person does, if you’re not doing EXACTLY like everyone around them, someone’s gonna get their tiny underpants in a bunch about it.

What’s more you’re suggesting someone gets “popped” for wearing a certain colour shirt and expressing support of some other country’s team in a meaningless sporting event. I think if your grasp of your national identity is so poor that you’d harm someone, or advocate harming someone, over a sport and a colour of shirt, that you might want to consider decaff, valium, and staying indoors on windy days.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

You know the French doesn’t make beavers any sexier. Skunks, yes. Canadian beaver, no.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM

All the beavers I’ve ever met really, really, REALLY enjoyed my French. Its the way i stretch out the vowels and hit those plosives, I think. Best not to think about it too much, though. Don’t wanna overthink the plosives. They should just…happen.

7. tc4306 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Could it be by “not important,” that you mean that it is not important to Americans? Pretty sure that in Caribbean nations and in the far east, it is a pretty big deal. For confirmation, just check the rosters of the Latin American teams. Seems that the only non-American sporting event that captures the interest of Americans is the Olympics. Anything else, even a really big deal like the World Cup of Soccer is pretty much ignored in the U.S.A.

• florida76 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

The WBC will continue to rank slightly above the Pro Bowl in terms of importance, because the USA isn’t sending the best. It’s irrelevant what the rest of the world thinks, because the WBC winner isn’t the best in the world. That’s what makes this discussion different than soccer or hockey. It’s our sport, and everyone knows the highest level of talent resides in the USA. Soccer just isn’t our game, lagging in popularity, hence the lack of talent and interest in this country.

• archlobster - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Lagging in popularity and interest? Have you seen the MLS attendance or revenue numbers?

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Yes, it’s sad that Cabrera & Infante from the Tigers are playing but Verlander and other Staters skip it. That suggests it isn’t all team pressure not to go.

8. tc4306 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM

In Canada, the hockey mentality is that if Hockey Canada comes calling, you darn well put on the sweater and go. It is considered an honor and an obligation. But that has not translated into basketball or baseball where a hangnail is a good excuse for not participating.
    Russel Martin is being skewered in this country.
    The Canadian team had the audacity to ask him to catch two of the three games. Imagine that!.Russel would prefer to play shortstop so he got all pouty faced and dropped out, a decision that is not playing real well in the homeland.

9. allisonhagen - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Could you please avoid being arrested Friday night. I don’t need collect calls from jail harshing my mellow while I’m busy drinking with Kat. Also, you’ve been gone forever and I kind of want to see you Saturday.

10. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM

WBC? Come on seriously? Id rather read the same predictable, lame-azz posts cur68 writes here everyday!

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Why, cur, you also have a personal troll! I’m so jealous. Yours sends you love notes. Mine just gives me the finger thumb.

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

He has several (especially if you include both of us). dirtyharry is just his most ardent.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I guess this means we have competition and need to ramp it up!

• indaburg - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I’m flexing and stretching my typing fingers (as opposed to toes) as we speak.

Making fun of Canadia and all things beavery is our territory, dirtyharry! You want us to make your day, d’ya, punk?

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Meh. Never mind ‘harry. He’s on a quest to see how much of his ego I can crumble up. Also, I think of ‘harry as everyone’s personal troll. He’s like a meta-troll: hates us all. Every once in a while he’ll decide he can pick on someone and try to make them miserable. Today its me. Tomorrow it could be you.

Best thing to do? Well, I’ve found if you stand down wind of him and don’t let him breathe on you, its all pretty meaningless. He’s an own-poo flinger, and like most of his kind, doesn’t really have a clue about personal hygiene. So he’ll fling, “groom” himself, possibly pick food out of his tooth, maybe scratch a bit. The upshot is, he smells like a lumberjack camp latrine.

Now, since he’s here, and I’m feeling like experimenting on him, perhaps we can get him to explain his last comment to me: “I hope your legs grow together”. I’m still not sure what’s up with that as an insult. Or perhaps it is a fond wish for my personal supremacy as a potato-sack race champion?

• jwbiii - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

cur, So you say you’re in favor of standing downwind from lumberjack camp latrines? We may have different opinions on some rather fundamental issues.

By the way the beaver I met in Washington was indeed a Castor canadensis, so I’ll stick with gliding in the water and waddling on land.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Huh. Its obvious that I’m still topping up my morning caffeine. Quite right, JWB3: UPWIND folks, upwind. Don’t wanna make THAT mistake twice, eh? Not on a full stomach, at least.

Also, JWB3, you seem to have trouble telling “sashaying” apart from “waddling”. Tragic, man. Just tragic.

11. pinkfloydprism - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I will be there! Can I buy you a beer? Linie’s shack in left field! :)

12. emeraldcityfan - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Be careful down there Craig. I hear Sheriff Joe has a opening for a baseball blogger at his tent city. We don’t want to see your next post be about a prison baseball game between the Pinks against the Stripes.

• jwbiii - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

But if it’s a night game, Craig could score a Mark Grace interview!

13. cktai - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

12 hours till Netherlands vs Cuba, a reply of the 2011 World Cup final, which the Netherlands won. Compared to that game, Cuba will be sending out pretty much the same squad. The Netherlands however, will add Andrelton Simmons, Roger Bernadina, Wladimir Balentien, Andruw Jones, Xander Bogaerts, and Deshenko Ricardo. Are you excited? Because I am. Now if only that game didn’t start at 4 in the night :(

14. bh192012 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM

“as a means of pissing off the Arizonans”

Why would you want to do that?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4634)