Mariano Rivera “intends to retire” after this season, will make announcement Saturday

Mar 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EST

Mariano Rivera Getty Getty Images

Last year Mariano Rivera changed his mind about retiring after knee surgery ended his season, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that “it’s an open secret” the Yankees closer “intends to retire” following this season.

In fact, according to Olney “that announcement figures to be very soon, perhaps Saturday.”

Obviously the motivation to return from a significant injury played a part in Rivera deciding to play another season, but he’s 43 years old and has been pondering retirement since at least this time last year. On the other hand, it’s worth noting that when players announce an entire season ahead of time that they plan to retire there are lots of examples of minds later being changed.

I’m far from a Yankees fan, but I’m hoping Rivera pitches forever, basically. Short of that, at least he’ll get a Chipper Jones-style sendoff tour at every ballpark, although Rivera didn’t necessarily strike me as the type of player who’d want that attention.

UPDATE: Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that there’s a Saturday morning press conference scheduled for an official announcement.

1. number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

So assuming he gets in on the first ballot would his induction be 2018 or 2019?

• dodger88 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

2019. Must be retired for 5 full seasons to become eligible.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM

thank you for the clarification!

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I heard he has bacne. And that he was a teammate of people who used steroids. GUILTY! GUILTY!

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Normally, I’d play, but this is Mo and that’s sacred.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Just to be clear — I was making a joke about the writers and not Rivera.

• historiophiliac - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, no, I got it.

2. zzalapski - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM

When he does retire, it’ll be a sad day for Yankees fans and bat manufacturers everywhere.

• 18thstreet - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

As a Red Sox fan, I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m half convinced he’ll figure out how to throw left-handed and pitch until he’s 80.

• senioreditor2 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:16 PM

and the end of an era for sure…………………

3. BigBeachBall - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

2nd best reliever of this generation… Right behind hoffman…

• aceshigh11 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

WHAT?? You’ve gotta be joking.

Hoffman was great, but Mariano has been one of the greatest, most dominant pitchers in baseball HISTORY, not JUST as a closer.

Look at his secondary stats…he pitched like a cyborg.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Please don’t feed the trolls

• fanofevilempire - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

BigBeachBall , are you a drunkard?

• jolink653 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Lol Mariano is accepted by everyone as the greatest relief pitcher of all time and you want to put Hoffman in front of him? How can you possibly justify that?

• jwbiii - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Apparently not by everyone. By everyone who follows baseball and has a functioning brain, but not by everyone.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM

are you a drunkard?

• senioreditor2 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Hey I’ve lived in San Diego my whole life and Trevor ain’t even in the conversation. Trevor was good but on Mariano’s bad days he was better than Trevor and the numbers back me up 100%.

• carbydrash - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:31 PM

This is ludicrious.

He’s third, behind Hoffman AND Dave Veres.

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Dave Veres! One year I had a fantasy baseball team named “Dave Veres and the Mediocre Relievers”. Man, that was…not a good team.

• buggieowens - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Even Red Sox fans like myself have to say “bogus” to that claim. We know…we seen him enough.

4. steel6curtain - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

beachball…..negative. Rivera is not only the greatest closer of his generation, but in baseball history….cannot be debated buy anyone with logical baseball knowledge. im a red sox fan so I absolutely despise the yankees so this isnt coming from a yankee fanboy or even a supporter, they guy is just amazing. what makes his career all the more impressive is he has done it using one pitch his whole career….the inside cut fastball. every batter knew it was coming and with shocking regularity jammed the batter inside, broken bat, ball slowly rolls toward infielder, easy out. he is the best ever period….I wont be sad to see him go

5. josemartez - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:50 PM

No question about the first ballot, but I’m curious if he’ll be the first unanimous hall of famer.

• kopy - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:02 PM

We’ll never have a unanimous. Too many people that think a player is worthy, but vote “no” anyway the first few times just to be dicks.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

It won’t happen also because, with such a loaded ballot, you’ll find at least one person who’ll think “of course Mo/Maddux/Jeter will make it, so i’ll not vote for him and vote for this other (un)deserving player”.

• raysfan1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

There are some who vote no on the first ballot just to ensure it isn’t unanimous.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Don’t be too sure about first ballot. if the dicks that vote now are still there in 5 yrs he may not make it till second ballot.

• uyf1950 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I don’t think there is any doubt that Rivera makes the HOF on the first ballot. I don’t think he will be a unanimous but since it only takes a player getting 75% of the votes it’s inconceivable to me that more then 1 in 4 voters would not vote for him.

6. uyf1950 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

It will be an interesting ballot for the HOF should the 3 Core Four remaining Yankees all retire at the end of this season. Jeter and Rivera are locks 1st ballot HOF’ers. Pettitte starts the 2013 season with 245 wins, I think if he can get to 260 wins along with his post season record he will make the HOF but probably not on the 1st ballot.

BTW, I realize Jeter still has a 2014 player option and I’m not saying he WILL retire only thinking out loud IF he were to retire.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM

While i agree with you that Jeets and Mo SHOULD make it first round, they will not. In regards to Andy even if he gets to the 260 mark i do not think he makes it in at all. i think that hes great and his has an argument but between not having 300 wins AND the PEDs issue i think he does not make it in.

• cackalackyank - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

uyf I agree whole heartedly that Mo and Jeter should be first ballot HOF ellectees. However, as has been observed, there are just too many douchenozzles that have a vote. One of them will most likely have to wait a year just so a few miserable writers can validate their self importance. If Jeter picks up his 2014 option it might help his first ballot chances, since that would push him back to 2020. I personally believe Andy Pettitte is a Hall of Fame pitcher. Probably not first ballot but an HOF pitcher nonetheless. Once again though, I have to be realistic in the face of current trends. Since there are players, some very deserving ones in fact, being held back just because of a suspicion of steroid use, what chance does Pettitte, a confessed steroid user, have of getting in? Until there is a paradigm shift in the BBWA regarding how suspected and confirmed steroid use is going to be considered, Pettitte will be outside, looking in.

• raysfan1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Pettite admitted to HGH use, not steroid use, but your point remains.

7. fanofevilempire - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Cashman is happy because without Mo the Yanks can get to 189 mil. payroll.

• cackalackyank - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Cashman could wind up being exstatic, at least from a financial point of view. While Pettitte may feel like he can “pitch for a long time” in March, he might start to feel differently after lower run support, and some patchwork defensive alignments for the first couple months of the season, and decide to call it quits alongside Mo. Then there is Jeters option. Also, Kuroda, Hughes, Chamberlain and several other from the pitching staff will be unsigned. Then there are Granderson and Cano. So the possibility for great payroll reduction exists. The interesting thing is who will certainly be there along with A-rod, Tex, Sabathia, and Ichiro?

8. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Mo is first ballot. Beloved by just about everyone in baseball and the media alike, never mind his achievements.

I love Pettitte, but he is disqualified from the HOF in my opinion, even should he miraculously manage 300 wins.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

unless hes got 3 seasons left in him he cannot get to 300 realistically.

• number42is1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

sorry… 4 seasons not 3

9. buffalomafia - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Salute! To the best closer ever!!!!

10. bbk1000 - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Amazing, a failed starting pitcher with one pitch (ok, perhaps 2) goes on and becomes the best reliever of all time…..

I’ll miss him doing his thing, watching him break bats all these years was fun…

11. raysfan1 - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Most saves ever. Lowest career ERA for any pitcher since the dead ball era. Even those of us, like me, who are fans of division rivals have to acknowledge what a privilege it has been to witness true greatness on the diamond.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5889)