Mar 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
Last year Mariano Rivera changed his mind about retiring after knee surgery ended his season, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that “it’s an open secret” the Yankees closer “intends to retire” following this season.
In fact, according to Olney “that announcement figures to be very soon, perhaps Saturday.”
Obviously the motivation to return from a significant injury played a part in Rivera deciding to play another season, but he’s 43 years old and has been pondering retirement since at least this time last year. On the other hand, it’s worth noting that when players announce an entire season ahead of time that they plan to retire there are lots of examples of minds later being changed.
I’m far from a Yankees fan, but I’m hoping Rivera pitches forever, basically. Short of that, at least he’ll get a Chipper Jones-style sendoff tour at every ballpark, although Rivera didn’t necessarily strike me as the type of player who’d want that attention.
UPDATE: Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that there’s a Saturday morning press conference scheduled for an official announcement.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)