Mar 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Last year Mariano Rivera changed his mind about retiring after knee surgery ended his season, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that “it’s an open secret” the Yankees closer “intends to retire” following this season.
In fact, according to Olney “that announcement figures to be very soon, perhaps Saturday.”
Obviously the motivation to return from a significant injury played a part in Rivera deciding to play another season, but he’s 43 years old and has been pondering retirement since at least this time last year. On the other hand, it’s worth noting that when players announce an entire season ahead of time that they plan to retire there are lots of examples of minds later being changed.
I’m far from a Yankees fan, but I’m hoping Rivera pitches forever, basically. Short of that, at least he’ll get a Chipper Jones-style sendoff tour at every ballpark, although Rivera didn’t necessarily strike me as the type of player who’d want that attention.
UPDATE: Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that there’s a Saturday morning press conference scheduled for an official announcement.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Overall the Mariners went 505-595 (.459) with Zduriencik as GM.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Two months ago, in the wake of the Astros database hacking scandal, the Cardinals fired scouting director Chris Correa.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Pedro Martinez is one of the smartest baseball players in living memory, but he’s sniffing up the wrong tree here.
Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over
Aug 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He looks like a goner after the season.
Aug 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
I hate to use the word “classy” because its so overused in sports. But this is classy.
Aug 28, 2015, 9:18 AM EDT
Oh, and if you didn’t know: ESPN is a tool of ISIS.
Aug 28, 2015, 8:02 AM EDT
Zack Greinke is doing things guys have not done since the Dead Ball era. And I do not mean making scary faces like that.
Aug 27, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
Just your standard 1-3-1 putout.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Brutal news here for the Nationals.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
After losing Yunel Escobar on a hit-by-pitch, Michael Taylor left tonight’s game against the Padres when he crashed into the outfield fence.
Aug 27, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
So, that thing about the Nationals’ projected Opening Day lineup finally being in place?
Aug 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Twins rookie slugger Miguel Sano hit another mammoth blast tonight against the Rays. The only problem is that the catwalk at Tropicana Field got in the way.
Aug 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Jones was forced to exit Thursday’s game after colliding with the center field fence.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:13 PM EDT
After being designated for assignment by the Mariners over the weekend, Rodney will be reunited with Joe Maddon in Chicago.
Aug 27, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Bumgarner also had a heck of a day on the mound.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Bonds filed a grievance on the grounds that he was blackballed from the game following the 2007 season.
Aug 27, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Dodgers utility man Enrique Hernandez did his best to catch up to the heat from Reds closer Aroldis Chapman this afternoon.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:34 PM EDT
Fernandez missed much of the season recovering from Tommy John elbow surgery.
Aug 27, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
No shorts, though. Major bummer.
Aug 27, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
Its not often we have reason to cheer the decisions ESPN makes but today we do.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (161)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)