Mar 7, 2013, 12:16 PM EDT
Last year Mariano Rivera changed his mind about retiring after knee surgery ended his season, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes that “it’s an open secret” the Yankees closer “intends to retire” following this season.
In fact, according to Olney “that announcement figures to be very soon, perhaps Saturday.”
Obviously the motivation to return from a significant injury played a part in Rivera deciding to play another season, but he’s 43 years old and has been pondering retirement since at least this time last year. On the other hand, it’s worth noting that when players announce an entire season ahead of time that they plan to retire there are lots of examples of minds later being changed.
I’m far from a Yankees fan, but I’m hoping Rivera pitches forever, basically. Short of that, at least he’ll get a Chipper Jones-style sendoff tour at every ballpark, although Rivera didn’t necessarily strike me as the type of player who’d want that attention.
UPDATE: Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that there’s a Saturday morning press conference scheduled for an official announcement.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
It’s a bummer that Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton will have to miss the 2015 Home Run Derby due to a broken hamate bone, but now we can also scratch Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper off the list of participants.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT
And once again, there’s no A-Rod to be found.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
The starters for the 2015 MLB All-Star Game were announced on Sunday, so now it’s time to learn the pitchers and reserves who have been selected to represent the American League and National League at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati on Tuesday, July 14…
Jul 6, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
Jacoby Ellsbury has been out since May 19 with a sprained right knee.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
Trade seems likely.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:26 PM EDT
Note: without the ‘fro, Gamble is just sort of blankly staring at you. We know this now.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
Harrison has struggled to duplicate his breakout 2014 performance.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera’s fill-in?
Jul 6, 2015, 2:51 PM EDT
Garza signed a four-year, $50 million deal with Milwaukee last offseason .
Jul 6, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
Mitchell Lambson is a lefty reliever who has split time at Double-A and Triple-A so far this year.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:44 PM EDT
His inexplicably bad 2015 is now somewhat exsplicable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
He’s hit just .233 with a .640 OPS through 166 career games.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Maybin is hitting .294/.363.416 with seven homers, 39 RBI and 15 steals.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
A Bill Heywood must be allowed to speak his mind.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
In-game interviews are usually dumb. But last night one was at least funny.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Werth has been out with a fractured wrist since being hit by pitch on May 15.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
They don’t like it. He doesn’t care. He’s right not to.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
And it flutters differently every time.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
What a world we live in these days.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:03 AM EDT
Justin Verlander, doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 2
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 38
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)