Mar 7, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
Rafael Furcal opted against undergoing Tommy John elbow surgery in August, choosing instead to rest and rehab his partially torn ulnar collateral ligament, but now seven months later the Cardinals shortstop is going under the knife.
Today the Cardinals announced that Furcal will have Tommy John surgery and is expected to be out for 6-8 months, which almost surely means his season is over before it even started. Positive offseason reports about Furcal’s recovery progress convinced the Cardinals not to invest heavily in another shortstop plan, so now they’re left with Pete Kozma or Ronny Cedeno as in-house options to replace him.
Cedeno is a veteran with a solid glove, but he’s hit just .247 with a .290 on-base percentage and .357 slugging percentage in 779 career games through age 29. Kozma played shockingly well stepping into the lineup for Furcal down the stretch last season, but his numbers in the minors have consistently been terrible–including a .223 average and .610 OPS at Triple-A–and there’s little to suggest he’s suited to play regularly in the majors.
And as a 35-year-old shortstop set for major elbow surgery Furcal’s career is now in jeopardy.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)