Mar 7, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
For the second straight spring Roy Halladay‘s low velocity readings are an issue.
Last spring Halladay brushed off those concerns, but sure enough his fastball averaged just 90.6 miles per hour last season compared to 92.0 in 2011 and 92.6 in 2010. He posted a 4.49 ERA that was his worst since 2000 and was limited to 25 starts because of a shoulder injury.
David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News reports that Halladay topped out at 88 miles per hour yesterday and worked mostly in the 86-88 range. It’s not uncommon for velocity readings to be lower than usual early in spring training as pitchers build up their arm strength, but at age 35 and coming off shoulder problems it might be time to wonder if the Cy Young-caliber Halladay we’ve consistently seen for the past decade is gone for good.
May 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
They’re 31 and super expensive, but maybe they aren’t quite as washed up as some people have suggested.
May 26, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Cron was billed as a potential middle-of-the-order slugger when the Angels drafted him with the 17th overall pick in 2011.
May 26, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
He also homered, had three hits and drove in the go-ahead run with a sac fly in the ninth.
May 26, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Ruben Amaro offers some truthful observations in about as undiplomatic a fashion as possible.
May 26, 2015, 6:51 AM EDT
Walking Mike Trout, running Bartolo Colon. Today’s ATH has everything.
May 25, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
After signing a one-year, $3 million deal with the Braves, Callaspo is batting just .206 with one home run and a .545 OPS over 123 plate appearances this season.
May 25, 2015, 10:19 PM EDT
D’Arnaud has been sidelined since April 19 due to a fractured right pinkie finger.
May 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
We usually post videos of Giancarlo Stanton hitting long home runs because he has a penchant for doing that on a regular basis and it’s a lot of fun to marvel over them. However, he can also get it done with the glove.
May 25, 2015, 8:14 PM EDT
Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista hasn’t been able to play in the field since April 21 due a nagging shoulder injury, but he hopes to change that soon.
May 25, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Brewers outfielder Khris Davis hit two home runs today against the Giants, but he nearly had one of them taken away for not touching home plate.
May 25, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Brewers manager Craig Counsell said today that right-hander Wily Peralta will miss at least four weeks with an oblique strain.
May 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
When I think solemn remembrance of the military dead, I definitely think John Kruk and Curt Schilling in weird jerseys.
May 25, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Dodgers fans have been through this before, but hope is hope.
May 25, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Loney was hitting .275 with two homers and a .698 OPS in 30 games.
May 25, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
He thinks it’s silly that guys are risking 8-10 game suspensions for doing something everyone does and everyone thinks is sensible.
May 25, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Ishikawa started (out of position in left field) for the Giants during last year’s World Series-winning playoff run.
May 25, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
May 25, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
“Don’t they want to win a championship?”
May 25, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
Doolittle is coming back from a partially torn rotator cuff.
May 25, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Last time he started in left field and batted fifth for the Rangers? July 27, 2010.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)