Mar 8, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
“Burdened by our venue” sounds like the name of a late period Morrissey album, yes? Anyway, here’s the A’s GM talking to CSNBayArea.com about the A’s payroll:
“At the end of the day, having more money to invest is good. I mean, our situation is somewhat burdened by our venue. We still share a stadium with the Raiders. We’re trying to secure a new venue some way, some how. But until that point comes, we have to operate very much like a business, where we spend what we have, and no more.”
I think the saddest thing ever would be seeing Billy Beane go his whole career never having had a real payroll to work with. Not that we should actually shed a tear for him. He could have gone to Boston and probably a bunch of other places if he wanted to. But it would be nice to see what he could do with real money to spend. It could be a disaster — maybe he was put on this Earth to make smart bargain moves and would be Jim Hendry, Part Deux, if he had a payroll — but it would be interesting to see.
Oh well. I guess we just have to wait a few more years while the committee working on the A’s situation finishes what is apparently a ten thousand page report.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 16
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)