Mar 8, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT
“Burdened by our venue” sounds like the name of a late period Morrissey album, yes? Anyway, here’s the A’s GM talking to CSNBayArea.com about the A’s payroll:
“At the end of the day, having more money to invest is good. I mean, our situation is somewhat burdened by our venue. We still share a stadium with the Raiders. We’re trying to secure a new venue some way, some how. But until that point comes, we have to operate very much like a business, where we spend what we have, and no more.”
I think the saddest thing ever would be seeing Billy Beane go his whole career never having had a real payroll to work with. Not that we should actually shed a tear for him. He could have gone to Boston and probably a bunch of other places if he wanted to. But it would be nice to see what he could do with real money to spend. It could be a disaster — maybe he was put on this Earth to make smart bargain moves and would be Jim Hendry, Part Deux, if he had a payroll — but it would be interesting to see.
Oh well. I guess we just have to wait a few more years while the committee working on the A’s situation finishes what is apparently a ten thousand page report.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12