Mar 8, 2013, 9:45 PM EDT
Dave Brown of Yahoo! Sports just posted an intriguing interview with Diamondbacks pitcher Brandon McCarthy. They talk about everything from the right-hander’s experience getting hit by a line drive, his tweeting, the trade that sent him to Oakland, as well as his familiarity with some advanced stats.
His thoughts on some traditional stats, pitcher wins and RBI, caught my attention:
DB:xFIP and WAR are great, but don’t pitchers need wins to take to arbitration?
BM: Yeah, that’s the worst part about wins. It’s the same with RBIs. They are the two numbers that truly get you paid. It’s absurd. But you become conditioned to having to think about it. In the minor leagues, I don’t think organizations push it, but you get built on that because that’s what you grow up with. And then when you should be getting to a point when you realize it’s a worthless stat, now you realize that your entire financial future depends on it, that stupid number, an arbitrary cutoff point.
McCarthy is one of a very short list of players who have publicly shown an interest in Sabermetrics. Zack Greinke is another, as he utilized stats to help him win the 2009 AL Cy Young award. It is nice to hear, every now and then, that a player has taken an active role in furthering his understanding of the game.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)