Mar 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT
Yankees Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte will each make their Grapefruit League debuts within the next week. Jeter, recovering from left ankle surgery that ended his season abruptly in the 2012 American League Championship Series, received the thumbs-up from his doctor. His debut could come as early as Sunday against the Blue Jays. Manager Joe Girardi plans to use him as a designated hitter:
“I’m OK with that,” Girardi said. “I won’t be giving him any must-go’s, those type of things. So I’ll see how he feels and go from there.
Jeter, turning 39 years old at the end of June, hit .316 during the regular season, leading the league in hits and plate appearances.
As for Pettitte, the lefty could make his debut on Wednesday against the Phillies. He missed time between late June and mid-September due to a fractured fibula and has been working during the off-season to get back into starting shape. Pettitte:
“Hoping to be able to get into a game now. I feel really good. Hopefully we’ll get into a game the next time. Everything’s feeling good.”
He posted a 2.87 ERA over his 12 starts and the 40-year-old hopes to build on that as he enters his 18th Major League season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)