Mar 8, 2013, 7:13 PM EDT
Yankees Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte will each make their Grapefruit League debuts within the next week. Jeter, recovering from left ankle surgery that ended his season abruptly in the 2012 American League Championship Series, received the thumbs-up from his doctor. His debut could come as early as Sunday against the Blue Jays. Manager Joe Girardi plans to use him as a designated hitter:
“I’m OK with that,” Girardi said. “I won’t be giving him any must-go’s, those type of things. So I’ll see how he feels and go from there.
Jeter, turning 39 years old at the end of June, hit .316 during the regular season, leading the league in hits and plate appearances.
As for Pettitte, the lefty could make his debut on Wednesday against the Phillies. He missed time between late June and mid-September due to a fractured fibula and has been working during the off-season to get back into starting shape. Pettitte:
“Hoping to be able to get into a game now. I feel really good. Hopefully we’ll get into a game the next time. Everything’s feeling good.”
He posted a 2.87 ERA over his 12 starts and the 40-year-old hopes to build on that as he enters his 18th Major League season.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)