Mar 8, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
It’s still raining in the desert and most teams here have cancelled morning workouts. I figure it’s just a matter of time before they bang the games too, so I’m sort of in a holding pattern, trying to figure out how to spend my day. I may go to the Italy-Canada WBC game, which is under the roof at Chase Field. I don’t know. The only set plan is USA-Mexico this evening.
In the meantime I’m eating tasty stuff in one of the best joints in all of Phoenix and reading basebally things. Here’s a basebally thing: an interview with me about all of the Cactus League parks over at ParkGrades.com. Stuff like:
Question about Phoenix Municipal Stadium - Phoenix Muni is the oldest of the Cactus League Stadiums, and you’ve described as “how the Soviets would build their stadiums if they had the good sense to like baseball.” My question to you: how would the Soviets have built their rosters if they had they good sense to like baseball?Craig: Probably a lot of corner guys. First basemen with pop but not good glove work. Power first. A lot of Ivan Drago types. I say that under the assumption that it’s still OK to make fun of Soviets. If not, I apologize if I have offended any Soviets.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)