Mar 8, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
Sergio Romo threw 26 pitches for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic yesterday and he’s eligible to make an appearance again tonight because the tournament’s “can’t pitch in back-to-back games” limit is 30 pitches.
As you might expect, none of that pleases the Giants. According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, manager Bruce Bochy met with his coaching staff to discuss the situation this morning and “the staff is also trying to phone Romo to see how he feels a day after the game.”
Schulman notes that Romo threw as many as 26 pitches just once all of last season and it was in his very first appearance of the year. And if he were in Giants camp right now there’s no way Romo would be allowed to throw 26 pitches, let alone throw 26 pitches and then potentially throw again the next day.
Not necessarily a big deal, but Romo’s history of arm issues magnifies things a bit and it’s also an interesting data point for why teams aren’t exactly pushing their players to participate in the WBC.
May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Reds ace Johnny Cueto was scratched from a start last week after experiencing stiffness in his right elbow, but an MRI taken Tuesday afternoon came up clean …
May 27, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
Harper has slugged 13 home runs over his last 19 games.
May 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams tore his right quadriceps muscle Tuesday while legging out a double.
May 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Santos had registered an underwhelming 4.73 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/7 K/BB ratio in 13 1/3 innings of relief this season for the Dodgers.
May 27, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT
Just call him Jimmy “The Jet” Paredes.
May 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Peguero was designated for assignment by the Rangers on May 20 after batting .186/.310/.414 with four home runs and nine RBI in 84 plate appearances.
May 27, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT
Adams was off to a slow start this season, but he’s hit .277 with a .770 OPS in 320 games for the Cardinals since debuting in 2012.
May 27, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT
Everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn’t end.
May 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
A bad season for the A’s is starting to look worse.
May 27, 2015, 4:19 PM EDT
The incident is alleged to have occurred this past weekend.
May 27, 2015, 4:01 PM EDT
Crazy things are happening in Minnesota.
Felix Hernandez and Chris Archer dueled. Chris Archer, by one measure, pitched better. Felix Hernandez won.
May 27, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT
Game scores are interesting things. Wins — the team kind, anyway — are far more satisfying.
May 27, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
And Missouri continues to represent well.
May 27, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
De Aza played very well for the Orioles down the stretch last season.
May 27, 2015, 1:49 PM EDT
Verlander will start Sunday at Triple-A.
May 27, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Several reports last week had the Angels in the market for outfield help.
May 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“A multimedia show featuring a virtual Selig.” Yes, that’s actually a thing.
May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
He’s about 11 months removed from Tommy John surgery.
May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Coke signed a one-year, $2.25 million deal with the Cubs this offseason.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT
And you think my A-Rod trolling kung-fu is the best. Heck, I’m an amateur.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)