Jim Leyland has “absolutely no intention of retiring”

Mar 8, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

Jim Leyland AP

Jim Leyland likes working on one-year contracts, but the 68-year-old Tigers manager made it very clear today that he has no plans to retire after this season:

I’m not retiring, whether we win or we don’t win [the World Series]. Now, I mean, [the front office] might have different thoughts, but it won’t be mine. I mean, I have no intention of retiring. I feel good. I like what I’m doing. I have absolutely no intention of retiring.

At one point last season there was some speculation that Leyland’s job could be in jeopardy, but winning the American League wiped away any chance of that happening. Jason Beck of MLB.com notes that Leyland is the third-oldest manager in baseball behind Davey Johnson and Charlie Manuel, and Johnson has already announced that he’ll retire after this season.

Detroit has finished .500 or better in six of seven seasons with Leyland as manager, including an AL Central-winning 88-74 record last season, and he’s 160 wins from passing Lou Piniella for 14th-place on the all-time list.

1. albertmn - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Can you imagine having a job that is so satisfying that you never want to retire? I like my job well enough, but if I came into enough money (such as the lottery) that I didn’t NEED to work ever again, I don’t think I would hang on very long. Good for Leyland!

2. mianfr - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM

How is he only 68? Jesus, take it easy on the cigarettes…

3. fissels - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Stay on as long as you want Jim. We need more baseball guys like you.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

But if you do win the WS, Leyland honey, there’ll be some bread pudding in it for you. :)

Thank you, Aaron, for our daily dose of Tigers awesomeness. <3

• albertmn - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Stop trying to make bread pudding happen.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

You don’t have to eat it.

5. hotdogfinger - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Was watching a spring training game the other day and the camera caught Leyland smoking a cig in the dugout. Warmed my heart.

6. lorddarkhelmet - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

68 going on 90. “Get off my lawn!”

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Nah, Leyland doesn’t look like a guy that would have a lawn…or if he did, he wouldn’t care about it.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Out of curiosity, what does a guy who would have a lawn look like?

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Um….different. Fewer ash trays.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

ha ha My dad could smoke and mow. Leyland might have a riding mower, you know. I don’t see him as much of a gardener though.

7. goaltender1980 - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:00 PM

One of the last of the characters in baseball. Most of the younger guys are human cliche’ machines. I hope Leyland does stick around for a while.

8. seawurd - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I love this cranky old man. The sports world needs more guys who are willing to tough it out.
    GO JIMBO!!