Mar 8, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
There have been some unusual injuries suffered by baseball players over the years. Sammy Sosa’s sneeze. Dave Hollins and the spider bites. Clint Barmes and deer meat. Jeff Kent and his truck. Add one more to the list.
Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals lefty reliever Marc Rzepczynski was injured when a golf ball ricocheted and struck him near the left eye. He will miss his scheduled outing tomorrow against the Marlins and could be out for a week as the team investigates the severity of the injury.
Rzepczynski posted a 4.24 ERA in 46.2 innings last season, pitching mostly in the seventh and eighth innings.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 32
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 9
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)