Mar 8, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
There have been some unusual injuries suffered by baseball players over the years. Sammy Sosa’s sneeze. Dave Hollins and the spider bites. Clint Barmes and deer meat. Jeff Kent and his truck. Add one more to the list.
Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals lefty reliever Marc Rzepczynski was injured when a golf ball ricocheted and struck him near the left eye. He will miss his scheduled outing tomorrow against the Marlins and could be out for a week as the team investigates the severity of the injury.
Rzepczynski posted a 4.24 ERA in 46.2 innings last season, pitching mostly in the seventh and eighth innings.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 73
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)