Marc Rzepczynski injured by golf ball

Mar 8, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v San Francisco Giants - Game Six Getty Images

There have been some unusual injuries suffered by baseball players over the years. Sammy Sosa’s sneeze. Dave Hollins and the spider bites. Clint Barmes and deer meat. Jeff Kent and his truck. Add one more to the list.

Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals lefty reliever Marc Rzepczynski was injured when a golf ball ricocheted and struck him near the left eye. He will miss his scheduled outing tomorrow against the Marlins and could be out for a week as the team investigates the severity of the injury.

Rzepczynski posted a 4.24 ERA in 46.2 innings last season, pitching mostly in the seventh and eighth innings.

1. tfbuckfutter - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My favorite thing about that guy (sorry, I didn’t want to Ctrl + CYPZKI it) is that on the back of his jersey his name forms a complete circle.

2. beefytrout - Mar 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Reminds me of the time I was on the course playing a little “best ball”, trying to get some practice in. On a par 5, I played my second shot 3x, and hit the same tree with all 3 shots. When I was telling my buddy afterwards, he said “you should have just moved your ball a little to get a better lie.”

“Dude – the tree was 125 yards away.”

3. historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Fore!

(sorry)

4. jwbiii - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Thank goodness he wasn’t playing for Team Scrabble in the WBC. Who knows how many “The WBC causes injuries!” comments we would have.

• paperlions - Mar 9, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I wouldn’t mind if he missed some time…..he kind of sucks….so in that case it may be “woo hoo, thank you WBC for shelving a horrible pitcher”.

5. philliesblow - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM

A friend once hit an iron shot from the rough and hit a tree. The ball came straight back at him. He tried to jump over it to no avail. The ball hit him in a very tender spot. We still laugh about it years later.

6. chumthumper - Mar 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Crap. If this keeps up, will the Cards even be able to field a team on opening day?

7. retief1954 - Mar 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM

His ERA was over 4 last season??? Wow, surprising. I recall during their playoff and WS run a couple years ago, they’d call him in from the pen, and it was inning over. Didn’t matter the situation, who he faced. Inning over. I’d never heard of the guy before then, but man, I was really impressed. He definitely doesn’t “suck” if he’s right.

8. westcoastredbird - Mar 9, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Maybe it will knock some sense in him and he’ll get his control back. He doesn’t trust his stuff and is constantly behind in the count. Our lefty bullpen situation is our Archilles heal. They have a pulse and little else.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3248)