Mar 8, 2013, 8:49 PM EDT
A three-spot in the bottom of the first was all Puerto Rico needed to defeat Spain in a battle of Pool C contestants in the World Baseball Classic. Carlos Beltran doubled to score Angel Pagan, Mike Aviles hit a sacrifice fly to score Alex Rios, and Carlos Rivera walked with the bases loaded to plate Beltran in a shaky opener for Spain pitcher Sergio Perez.
From there, the offense subsided at Hiram Bithorn Stadium. Puerto Rico’s Giancarlo Alvarado threw four scoreless innings and Hiram Burgos four and two-thirds, the duo holding Spain to a meager five hits — all singles — while striking out seven and walking one. Xavier Cedeno came on with two outs in the ninth, striking out Salomon Manriquez looking to close out the game. None of Puerto Rico’s hitters logged more than one hit, but the team drew five walks and stole four bases in an attempt to generate offense.
Spain’s Perez rebounded with a scoreless second before giving way to Richard Salazar, who tossed an impressive five innings of scoreless baseball. Edgar Gonzalez and Ricardo Hernandez combined for a scoreless eighth inning.
Puerto Rico joins the Dominican Republic at 1-0 in Pool C while Spain drops to 0-1 with Venezuela. Spain plays the DR tomorrow at 11 AM ET while Puerto Rico will play Venezuela later in the evening.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)