Pulling a Crazy Ivan: taking in a WBC doubleheader

Mar 8, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT

world baseball classic logo

With the rain and gloom I decided to go downtown and see if I could fake my way in to the noon WBC game — Canada vs. Italy — without paying. I can’t just flash my credential because WBC credentialing is different than spring training credentialing and I missed that train a few weeks ago. Not that I’d prefer the press box. To be honest, I’d rather just hit the stands.

I got to Chase Field and the credential worked for parking — free spot in the media lot for the next 12 hours or so, babies — but it didn’t work at the gate.  I suppose if I called some folks I could get some, but given that it’s only $15 general admission for this early game and given that I’m truly not going to cover it like a reporter I’d feel weird about it.  I got a get-me-in ticket, camped out in a hotel lobby and I’m going to head into the park here in about a half hour for Canada-Italy. After that it’s USA-Mexico.

I may or may not have in-game posts here (depends on how well the internet works in the ballpark), but follow me on Twitter for in-game snark. I’ll have a big “my day at the WBC” post tomorrow or — depending on how ugly my night is and how bad my travel is tomorrow — on Monday.

Now, all I need to do is to figure out if I should by some Mexico merch for my anti-U.S. heel-turn before tonight’s game. Thoughts?

source:

1. cur68 - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I see my people advocating you getting “popped one” for your anti-US cheering hasn’t dampened your spirits, Craig. Good for you. Well, I say get the green shirt. Its a solid, hard hitting, no-holds-barred green. Hard to look bad in green. That red one will leave you looking like a commie. No one wants that.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

That beaver shirt looks hot pink…which I know to be your best color.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Нет. Я смотрю ужасным в горячем пинке

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

hey! We speak English in America!

JOBU BLESS AMERICAAAAAA/LAND THAT I LOOOOOOOVE/STAND BESIDE HER/AND GUIDE HER/ THROUGH THE NIGHT WITH A LIGHT FROM ABOOOOOOOVE

FROM THE MOUNTAINS/TO THE PRAIRIES/TO THE OCEANS/BLACK WITH OOOOOOOOOOOOIL (gag, gag)/JOBUUUUU BLESS AAAAMERICAAAAAAA/MY HOME SWEET HOOOOOOOOME

JOBU BLESS AMERICAAAAAAA/MY HOOOOOME SWEEET HOOOOOOOOME

freaking Taliban

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I think if we want Jobu’s help we are going to need a live chicken. Either that or you hit curve ball yourself.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Hmmmm….I’m not familiar with the version of that song that ends “freaking taliban”, nice way to end the song to get enthusiastic cheers.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Religious oppression, duh

• Chris Fiorentino - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Russian National Anthem, as sung(in Russian) in The Hunt For Red October, never fails to give me chills. One of five favorite movie moments of all time.

Does that make me a commie? Or just a big Sean Connery/Alec Baldwin/Sam Neill/James Earl Jones fan?

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Sleeper!

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You like anthem, eh? Da. Is good anthem. Добро пожаловать, камрад

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I’m taking down names, you know.

• jwbiii - Mar 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

cur,

Но уверен, что вы смотрите чудесний в розовом обычном.

Почему на вы? Скажи мне ты!

Да, да, да. I can’t coerce Google to give me the singular informal form of “you look.”

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Next time, during the stretch, let’s break out a rising chorus of This Land by your state’s native son. Much better than GBA (and no place else), as improved as your version is.

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Ok, but you should know I’ll sing the commie verses. ;)

• indaburg - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

We can harmonize.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I’ll sing the commie verses in French. That’ll annoy my people at The Hockey.

2. digbysellers - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Viva la Revolucion!

3. sdelmonte - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It’s such a rotten day, let’s play two?

4. jon3068 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Dude. Get the Team Canada shirt.

5. jdl1325 - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

One ping only Vasili.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

“I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck… maybe even a “recreational vehicle.” And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?”1

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Thank you! There were no quotes from the movie at all!! What the hell is wrong with people – every post should have had a quote from the Movie.

It’s 2:48, so Craigs next Crazy Ivan will be to Port

• historiophiliac - Mar 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I would like to have seen Montana…

6. DelawarePhilliesFan - Mar 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Mr. Ambassador, you have nearly a hundred naval vessels operating in the North Atlantic right now. Your aircraft has dropped enough sonar buoys so that a man could walk from Greenland to Iceland to Scotland without getting his feet wet. Now, shall we dispense with the bull?

What looks like an exercise could be a prelude to war. How can we tell the difference? Prudence demands that we deploy ships to observe yours. Your government should consider that having your ships and ours, your aircraft and ours, in such proximity is inherently dangerous. Wars have begun that way, Mr. Ambassador.

7. weaselpuppy - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

“Ambassador, don’t tell me you’ve lost another submarine?!?!”

and, let’s not forget Tim Curry shall we? Any movie that has Dr Frank-N-Furter as the totalitarian stooge trying to intimidate James Bond while he’s secretly planning to steal a nuclear sub with Damien Thorne as his XO is OK by me, even if it mistakenly has Baldwin in for Indiana Jones as Jack Ryan (boo, but corrected next movie)

And we won’t discuss Sum of All Fears….much like Highlander 2, Star Trek 5 and the Fantastic Four movies, it never happened….

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win