Mar 8, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
With the rain and gloom I decided to go downtown and see if I could fake my way in to the noon WBC game — Canada vs. Italy — without paying. I can’t just flash my credential because WBC credentialing is different than spring training credentialing and I missed that train a few weeks ago. Not that I’d prefer the press box. To be honest, I’d rather just hit the stands.
I got to Chase Field and the credential worked for parking — free spot in the media lot for the next 12 hours or so, babies — but it didn’t work at the gate. I suppose if I called some folks I could get some, but given that it’s only $15 general admission for this early game and given that I’m truly not going to cover it like a reporter I’d feel weird about it. I got a get-me-in ticket, camped out in a hotel lobby and I’m going to head into the park here in about a half hour for Canada-Italy. After that it’s USA-Mexico.
I may or may not have in-game posts here (depends on how well the internet works in the ballpark), but follow me on Twitter for in-game snark. I’ll have a big “my day at the WBC” post tomorrow or — depending on how ugly my night is and how bad my travel is tomorrow — on Monday.
Now, all I need to do is to figure out if I should by some Mexico merch for my anti-U.S. heel-turn before tonight’s game. Thoughts?
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)