Mar 8, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Rafael Furcal has scheduled his Tommy John elbow surgery for Wednesday and told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch that his next game action will probably come in the Dominican winter league next offseason.
He’s been given a 6-8 month recovery timetable and the door can probably be closed on whatever slim chance there might have been on Furcal making a late-season appearance for the Cardinals.
Next offseason he’ll hit the open market as a 36-year-old coming off major elbow surgery, which is obviously bad news for a shortstop known for his arm strength. And sure enough Furcal told Hummel that he might start out playing second base in the winter league once he does return, both to bring his elbow along slowly and increase his versatility for a potential 2014 gig.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 34
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)