Swap your Cactus League tickets for WBC tickets

Mar 8, 2013, 9:23 AM EST

rain

It’s raining here in the desert. Big rain, coming down in sheets. It’s quite odd to see, frankly. And more importantly, there’s a good chance it’s going to royally frak up today’s Cactus League schedule.

But, if you have tickets to see some Arizona action today, you have an option:

With the forecast in Arizona looking ominous, those holding a ticket to one of Friday’s Cactus League games will have the opportunity to purchase a $5 ticket to a World Baseball Classic contest instead. To take advantage of the offer, bring tickets for rained-out games to the box office at Phoenix’s Chase Field.

You could probably get good tickets to Italy-Canada at noon Mountain time. I’m assuming that if you get USA-Mexico tickets for 7pm they’d be in the nosebleeds, because a lot of people are going to that already.

Still: even if it pours all day, you’ll get a chance to see some baseball under the roof at Chase Field.

1. manchestermiracle - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hang out in the desert for any length of time and rain, hard rain, isn’t so odd.

• heyblueyoustink - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Riders on the storm. I dig it.

• pinkfloydprism - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

but the way the locals drive in it is…

2. recoveringcubsfan - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Hey Craig, this is OT but since I know you follow the international prospect signings (and shenanigans), I wonder if you have any thoughts on the Mother Jones piece about Yewri Guillen that ran this month? (http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/03/baseball-dominican-system-yewri-guillen)

I have a few, but mostly it irks me that the writer doesn’t know that Robinson Cano and Alfonso Soriano are/were 2B, not SS, despite being from an area known as “the cradle of shortstops” (what’s the Spanish word, then, for “misnomer”?), and it irritates me more that the author also bemoans that 16 year-olds get smaller signing bonuses than 20 year-olds. He seems to think this is racism and uses only older American players as comps for younger, Dominican players. I say it’s relative and a product of the signing system itself (and that if Americans could sign when they were 16, they’d also get smaller bonuses). It’s amazing to me that someone can write about baseball prospects and miss the fact that older prospects are more projectable (i.e., are worth more guaranteed money) than 16 year-old lottery tickets whose only real claim is that they’re from a baseball hotbed.

But as I said, your thoughts?

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The thing that bothered me was the disingenuous comparisons between bonuses for 16 yr olds and those for 20 yr olds.

Yes,Sosa signed for $3,500 at age 16 and McGwire signed for $145,000 at age 20 the same year….of course, McGwire was also much closer to the Majors and far more likely to make it there…..and from age 16 to 20 Sosa got room, board, salary, education, and health insurance….all of which likely added up to a value far greater than the difference between their signing bonuses.

There are thousands of 16 yr old US players that would LOVE to be able to sign with a team so that they could be paid and provided for while having access to the best available developmental coaches.

• natslady - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I know you asked for Craig’s thoughts, but mine were that the writer went for drama over accuracy. I do think there are inequities in the system, but that is always the case when you have a richer economy “preying” on a weaker one. You found the same when basketball was the only way out of the inner city for young black kids.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester