Mar 8, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
It might prove to be a minor thing, but Davis hasn’t started a game since September of 2011 (and was never particularly effective as a starter anyway) and spent time on the disabled list with shoulder problems in 2010.
Davis, who was acquired from the Rays as part of the big James Shields-Wil Myers swap, has a 4.22 ERA and 5.9 strikeouts per nine innings in 64 career starts compared to a 2.43 ERA and 11.1 strikeouts per nine innings in 54 career relief appearances.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)