Mar 8, 2013, 5:25 PM EDT
It might prove to be a minor thing, but Davis hasn’t started a game since September of 2011 (and was never particularly effective as a starter anyway) and spent time on the disabled list with shoulder problems in 2010.
Davis, who was acquired from the Rays as part of the big James Shields-Wil Myers swap, has a 4.22 ERA and 5.9 strikeouts per nine innings in 64 career starts compared to a 2.43 ERA and 11.1 strikeouts per nine innings in 54 career relief appearances.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 44
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 89
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (89)