Mar 9, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Mexico first baseman and clean-up hitter Adrian Gonzalez went 1-for-2 with a two-run home run, two walks, and three runs batted in, helping his team to a 5-2 victory over the United States. Gonzalez’s homer came in the third inning with two outs, pushing Mexico’s lead to 4-0 at the time. Lead-off hitter Eduardo Arredondo added three hits, including a double.
Mexico starter Yovani Gallardo, recently dealing with a strained groin, lasted three and one-third innings, allowing one run on two hits and a walk while striking out four. He was taken out of the game after walking Ryan Braun with a pitch count approaching 50. USA starter R.A. Dickey went four innings, throwing a total of 62 pitches. He allowed four runs on six hits and no walks while striking out two. Glen Perkins, in relief of Dickey, allowed a run on a Luis Cruz sacrifice fly.
The US attempted a comeback late when Braun doubled to lead off the eighth inning. Eric Hosmer drove him in with a single to right, shrinking Mexico’s lead to three runs at 5-2. Giancarlo Stanton flied out to end the threat and the inning. Sergio Romo pitched a perfect ninth to seal the victory for Mexico.
The US joins Canada at 0-1 in Pool D while 1-1 Mexico moves into second place behind 2-0 Italy. Canada and Mexico will play at 2:30 PM ET tomorrow, followed by the U.S. vs. Italy at 9 PM ET. If Mexico defeats Canada tomorrow, Italy could be playing to eliminate the US from the tournament.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)