Mar 9, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Mexico first baseman and clean-up hitter Adrian Gonzalez went 1-for-2 with a two-run home run, two walks, and three runs batted in, helping his team to a 5-2 victory over the United States. Gonzalez’s homer came in the third inning with two outs, pushing Mexico’s lead to 4-0 at the time. Lead-off hitter Eduardo Arredondo added three hits, including a double.
Mexico starter Yovani Gallardo, recently dealing with a strained groin, lasted three and one-third innings, allowing one run on two hits and a walk while striking out four. He was taken out of the game after walking Ryan Braun with a pitch count approaching 50. USA starter R.A. Dickey went four innings, throwing a total of 62 pitches. He allowed four runs on six hits and no walks while striking out two. Glen Perkins, in relief of Dickey, allowed a run on a Luis Cruz sacrifice fly.
The US attempted a comeback late when Braun doubled to lead off the eighth inning. Eric Hosmer drove him in with a single to right, shrinking Mexico’s lead to three runs at 5-2. Giancarlo Stanton flied out to end the threat and the inning. Sergio Romo pitched a perfect ninth to seal the victory for Mexico.
The US joins Canada at 0-1 in Pool D while 1-1 Mexico moves into second place behind 2-0 Italy. Canada and Mexico will play at 2:30 PM ET tomorrow, followed by the U.S. vs. Italy at 9 PM ET. If Mexico defeats Canada tomorrow, Italy could be playing to eliminate the US from the tournament.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 7
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 15
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)