Mar 9, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
After being crushed by Cuba earlier this morning, Chinese Taipei has been eliminated from the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
Cuba topped Chinese Taipei 14-0 in a game which ended in the seventh inning due to the mercy rule. The big blow was an eight-run sixth inning.
Frederich Cepeda, Yasmany Tomas, Jose Abreu and Alfredo Despaigne all homered for Cuba while Danny Betancourt, Norberto Gonzalez and Raciel Iglesias combined to hold Chinese Taipei to just three hits.
Cuba, who lost their second-round opener to the Netherlands, is slated to play the loser of Sunday’s game between Japan and the Netherlands. That game will take place on Monday.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 2
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 113
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 3
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 26
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (118)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)