Mar 9, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
After being crushed by Cuba earlier this morning, Chinese Taipei has been eliminated from the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
Cuba topped Chinese Taipei 14-0 in a game which ended in the seventh inning due to the mercy rule. The big blow was an eight-run sixth inning.
Frederich Cepeda, Yasmany Tomas, Jose Abreu and Alfredo Despaigne all homered for Cuba while Danny Betancourt, Norberto Gonzalez and Raciel Iglesias combined to hold Chinese Taipei to just three hits.
Cuba, who lost their second-round opener to the Netherlands, is slated to play the loser of Sunday’s game between Japan and the Netherlands. That game will take place on Monday.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)