Mar 9, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
After being crushed by Cuba earlier this morning, Chinese Taipei has been eliminated from the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
Cuba topped Chinese Taipei 14-0 in a game which ended in the seventh inning due to the mercy rule. The big blow was an eight-run sixth inning.
Frederich Cepeda, Yasmany Tomas, Jose Abreu and Alfredo Despaigne all homered for Cuba while Danny Betancourt, Norberto Gonzalez and Raciel Iglesias combined to hold Chinese Taipei to just three hits.
Cuba, who lost their second-round opener to the Netherlands, is slated to play the loser of Sunday’s game between Japan and the Netherlands. That game will take place on Monday.
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 0
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)