Mar 9, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Mariano Rivera won’t be the only Yankees’ legend returning to action today. After receiving “final clearance” on his surgically-repaired ankle earlier this week, Derek Jeter will make his Grapefruit League debut this afternoon against the Braves. He’ll serve as the designated hitter and bat leadoff.
Jeter hasn’t encountered any setbacks since surgery last October to repair a fractured left ankle suffered during the ALCS. The Yankees will likely wait a little while before testing him at shortstop in a live game, but he’s expected to be ready for Opening Day on April 1 against the Red Sox.
Jeter, who turns 39 in June, batted .316/.362/.429 last season and led the majors in hits.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)