Mar 9, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
The Dominican team scored five times in the second and third innings off Yoanner Negrin, with Nelson Cruz driving in two of the runs. The Spanish bullpen did solid work afterwards, but the offense struggled until mounting a rally in the ninth.
Spain got its first run of the tournament in the seventh when Engel Beltre tried to bunt for a hit with a man on second. Cano was late getting to it and tried to scoop with his glove and flip the ball in one motion, only to whiff on it entirely. The ball rolled into right field, allowing Salomon Manriquez to score and Beltre to reach second.
The game got more interesting in the ninth, as likely Astros closer Jose Veras failed to shut the door. After Spain scored a run, the Dominicans brought in Fernando Rodney, who walked in a run to make it 6-3. Rodney finally struck out Rafael Alvarez to end it.
Samuel Deduno struck out five in four scoreless innings after drawing the start for the D.R.
The Dominican Republic is now 2-0 in pool play and would clinch a spot in Round 2 if Puerto Rico beats Venezuela later tonight. They should also hold the edge in any tiebreakers if they happen to finish tied with Puerto Rico and Venezuela at 2-1. They’ll next play Puerto Rico on Sunday. Spain is 0-2 headed into its finale against Venezuela.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (153)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)