Mar 9, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
The Dominican team scored five times in the second and third innings off Yoanner Negrin, with Nelson Cruz driving in two of the runs. The Spanish bullpen did solid work afterwards, but the offense struggled until mounting a rally in the ninth.
Spain got its first run of the tournament in the seventh when Engel Beltre tried to bunt for a hit with a man on second. Cano was late getting to it and tried to scoop with his glove and flip the ball in one motion, only to whiff on it entirely. The ball rolled into right field, allowing Salomon Manriquez to score and Beltre to reach second.
The game got more interesting in the ninth, as likely Astros closer Jose Veras failed to shut the door. After Spain scored a run, the Dominicans brought in Fernando Rodney, who walked in a run to make it 6-3. Rodney finally struck out Rafael Alvarez to end it.
Samuel Deduno struck out five in four scoreless innings after drawing the start for the D.R.
The Dominican Republic is now 2-0 in pool play and would clinch a spot in Round 2 if Puerto Rico beats Venezuela later tonight. They should also hold the edge in any tiebreakers if they happen to finish tied with Puerto Rico and Venezuela at 2-1. They’ll next play Puerto Rico on Sunday. Spain is 0-2 headed into its finale against Venezuela.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 20
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)