Mar 9, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
The Plain Dealer’s Terry Pluto spoke to Indians CEO Paul Dolan, touching on many of the issues that have plagued the franchise since its last winning season in 2007. Of note, Dolan called his team’s 2012 season “the worst” in his family’s 14 years with the organization. Dolan also admits that, despite increased ticket sales as a result of the Michael Bourn and Nick Swisher signings, “we will lose money” in 2013.
More, via Pluto:
But he views it as a “long-term investment” in the franchise, something that had to be done.
“It’s self-evident that we should be a very exciting team with personality,” he said. “We certainly have challenges. How we deal with them will determine if we are playing meaningful baseball in September or not.
“But we are unequivocally a better team.”
Though the Indians are playing in a division that includes the reigning American League champion Detroit Tigers, the AL Central is seen as a weak division. If the Indians’ lackluster starting rotation can prove a lot of naysayers wrong, they could enjoy significantly more success than they saw in seasons prior, something which would justify Dolan’s refusal to put his team through a complete rebuilding phase.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)