Mar 9, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Canada defeated Mexico 10-3 in today’s World Baseball Classic Pool D match-up, but that wasn’t the most talked-about result from the game — it was the fracas that started in the ninth inning. With his team up six runs, Canada’s Chris Robinson led off the top-half of the inning with a bunt, which infuriated Mexico, thinking that the WBC operates under similar rules as Major League Baseball. However, where the WBC differs is that they use run differential in their tie-breaker, so all efforts to eke out that extra run, whether by bunting or stealing bases up by more runs than can be counted on one hand, are justifiable. Not knowing this, Mexico reliever Arnold Leon threw at Rene Tosoni with his first pitch of the next at-bat, causing both benches to empty and punches to be thrown.
Those involved in the brawl included Mexico’s Luis Cruz, Eduardo Arredondo and Alfredo Aceves, as well as Canada’s Tyson Gillies and Scott Mathieson. Canada first base coach Larry Walker was involved as well, and says he saw Satan in the eyes of his attacker.
Larry Walker on Alfredo Aceves: “I had ahold of him and I think I saw Satan in his eyes.”
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) March 10, 2013
Walker also had baseball’s best interest in mind, pulling Mexico star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez out of the gathering.
Larry Walker said he pulled Adrian Gonzalez out of the way of the brawl. “You’re too important to the game,” he told him.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) March 10, 2013
Walker had some other interesting thoughts on the brawl, saying that CBC hockey commentator Don Cherry “can’t wait” to put the baseball brawl on his Hockey Night in Canada program. He never was one for a dull moment.
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 30
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)