Mar 9, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
It was reported earlier this week that Mariano Rivera intends to retire following the 2013 season, but he made it official this morning at a press conference at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa.
In a room packed with teammates, members of the front office and the media, Rivera started by joking that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman gave him a two-year extension, but he soon cut to the chase.
“I’d love to tell you guys that after this year, I will be retired,” said Rivera, who called it a “privilege and honor” to spend his entire career in pinstripes.
Rivera confirmed today that he originally intended to retire after the 2012 season, but his plans changed after he suffered a season-ending right knee injury in May. While he turned 43 in November, he wants to go out on his own terms. He issued a warning to opposing hitters during the press conference, saying that he has a few bullets left, but intends “to use them well.” He’ll get started this afternoon when he makes his Grapefruit League debut against the Braves.
Rivera, a 12-time All-Star, owns a 2.21 ERA over his 18-year career and ranks first all-time with 608 career saves. He has an 0.70 ERA in 96 postseason games.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)