Mar 9, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
It was reported earlier this week that Mariano Rivera intends to retire following the 2013 season, but he made it official this morning at a press conference at the Yankees’ spring training complex in Tampa.
In a room packed with teammates, members of the front office and the media, Rivera started by joking that Yankees general manager Brian Cashman gave him a two-year extension, but he soon cut to the chase.
“I’d love to tell you guys that after this year, I will be retired,” said Rivera, who called it a “privilege and honor” to spend his entire career in pinstripes.
Rivera confirmed today that he originally intended to retire after the 2012 season, but his plans changed after he suffered a season-ending right knee injury in May. While he turned 43 in November, he wants to go out on his own terms. He issued a warning to opposing hitters during the press conference, saying that he has a few bullets left, but intends “to use them well.” He’ll get started this afternoon when he makes his Grapefruit League debut against the Braves.
Rivera, a 12-time All-Star, owns a 2.21 ERA over his 18-year career and ranks first all-time with 608 career saves. He has an 0.70 ERA in 96 postseason games.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
The Josh Donaldson trade puzzled his now ex-teammate Josh Reddick.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:34 PM EST
The A’s cleared some space on their roster following the Josh Donaldson trade by designating Kyle Blanks and Josh Lindblom for assignment.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:57 PM EST
Brett Lawrie and a couple of minor leaguers are headed to the Athletics in exchange for Josh Donaldson.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
The Athletics are reportedly close to getting three or four players back in a trade involving starter Jeff Samardzija.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Marlins pitcher Aaron Crow, recently acquired from the Royals, could get a shot in the starting rotation.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Ross Detwiler had a frustrating 2014 season with the Nationals. It sounds like he wants a change of scenery, if possible.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The White Sox signed speedster Tony Campana to a minor league deal.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
It’s one and done in the booth for the old lefty.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
That is, if he makes the rotation.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Crow made the All-Star team as a rookie in 2011.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
And he’d like you to tell him who’s a better option.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
He’s reportedly uninjured, though details are scarce at the moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Barring some trades he’ll fill a middle relief role for the bullpen-rich Royals in 2015.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
“Their interest in the lefty appears as much opportunistic as enthusiastic.”
Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
It’s an artificial turf thing.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
Won’t somebody think of A.J. Hinch’s children?
Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The AL Central seems to be particularly fond of free agent pitcher Justin Masterson.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres have three worthy catchers and all of them are drawing trade interest.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Billy Butler, now with the Athletics, thanked Royals fans for an “amazing ride” in Kansas City.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
A couple more options have appeared on the Marlins’ radar for an upgrade at first base.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)