Mar 9, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
“Just to be on the safe side on Monday,” manager Buck Showalter said of Markakis, who last played March 1 and was improving until reaggravating the area on Thursday. “Monday or Tuesday. Think it’s Monday.”
Markakis was scratched from Sunday’s lineup when he reported having a neck spasm that morning upon arriving at the team’s facility.
2012 marked the first season in the 29-year-old’s career in which he didn’t play in at least 140 games. He played in 104, posting a .298/.363/.471 line. However, his 2012 was plagued with injuries as Markakis needed three different surgeries: his abdomen in January, his wrist in June, and his thumb in September.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11