Mar 9, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
“Just to be on the safe side on Monday,” manager Buck Showalter said of Markakis, who last played March 1 and was improving until reaggravating the area on Thursday. “Monday or Tuesday. Think it’s Monday.”
Markakis was scratched from Sunday’s lineup when he reported having a neck spasm that morning upon arriving at the team’s facility.
2012 marked the first season in the 29-year-old’s career in which he didn’t play in at least 140 games. He played in 104, posting a .298/.363/.471 line. However, his 2012 was plagued with injuries as Markakis needed three different surgeries: his abdomen in January, his wrist in June, and his thumb in September.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)