Mar 9, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
Ryan Madson had a minor setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery in early February, but he’s beginning to make progress.
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Madson is set to throw a bullpen session Monday for the first time since his shutdown. However, it’s just the first step of a long process.
Madson told Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register last week that he will need about eight bullpen sessions before pitching in a game, so he’s no lock to make an appearance during Cactus League action. As of now, the Angels are hopeful that he’ll be ready to join the bullpen in mid-April.
Ernesto Frieri, who saved 23 games in 26 chances last season, is the favorite to serve as the closer while Madson rounds into shape. Scott Downs, Sean Burnett and Kevin Jepsen have also been mentioned as possibilities.
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)