Mar 9, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
Ryan Madson had a minor setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery in early February, but he’s beginning to make progress.
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Madson is set to throw a bullpen session Monday for the first time since his shutdown. However, it’s just the first step of a long process.
Madson told Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register last week that he will need about eight bullpen sessions before pitching in a game, so he’s no lock to make an appearance during Cactus League action. As of now, the Angels are hopeful that he’ll be ready to join the bullpen in mid-April.
Ernesto Frieri, who saved 23 games in 26 chances last season, is the favorite to serve as the closer while Madson rounds into shape. Scott Downs, Sean Burnett and Kevin Jepsen have also been mentioned as possibilities.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 8
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 37
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)