Mar 9, 2013, 5:32 PM EST
Ryan Madson had a minor setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery in early February, but he’s beginning to make progress.
According to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com, Madson is set to throw a bullpen session Monday for the first time since his shutdown. However, it’s just the first step of a long process.
Madson told Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register last week that he will need about eight bullpen sessions before pitching in a game, so he’s no lock to make an appearance during Cactus League action. As of now, the Angels are hopeful that he’ll be ready to join the bullpen in mid-April.
Ernesto Frieri, who saved 23 games in 26 chances last season, is the favorite to serve as the closer while Madson rounds into shape. Scott Downs, Sean Burnett and Kevin Jepsen have also been mentioned as possibilities.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)