Mar 9, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that Stephen Drew was scratched from yesterday’s Grapefruit League lineup due to concussion symptoms, one day after he was hit in the helmet by a pitch from Caleb Thielbar of the Twins.
Drew was believed to be fine initially and was even expected to be in the lineup yesterday, but he began to feel symptoms late Thursday night while reading a book. Now he’ll have to pass a series of concussion tests and be cleared by an MLB doctor before returning to the field.
Drew signed a one-year, $9.5 million contract with the Red Sox over the winter and is slated to be the team’s starting shortstop this season. The 29-year-old returned from ankle surgery last year and batted .223/.309/.348 with seven home runs, 28 RBI and a .657 OPS in 79 games between the Diamondbacks and Athletics.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 0
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)