Mar 9, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
The Giants and catcher Buster Posey avoided arbitration in January by agreeing to a one-year, $8 million contract, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com hears that the two sides have “exchanged preliminary ideas” about a multi-year deal which would buy out his remaining arbitration years.
As a Super Two player, Posey is arbitration-eligible for four years as opposed to the usual three, so he remains under team control through 2016. His salary figures to escalate significantly over the next three years, so while there’s some risk involved given the position that he plays, locking him up now would secure some cost certainty for the Giants.
“Our view of Buster is that he’ll be reasonable,” Giants CEO Larry Baer told me. “We’ve thrown some things out. They’ve thrown some things out. It’s going to be more evolved over time. It’s not a `check back in two weeks, we may have something’ kind of thing.”
Baer classified getting an extension done with Posey as “a matter of importance,” but neither side views Opening Day as a deadline.
Posey, 25, owns a .314/.380/.503 batting line over his first 308 games in the majors. His 172 OPS+ last season led all hitters.
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 11
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 27
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 96
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (188)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)