Mar 9, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
The Giants and catcher Buster Posey avoided arbitration in January by agreeing to a one-year, $8 million contract, but Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com hears that the two sides have “exchanged preliminary ideas” about a multi-year deal which would buy out his remaining arbitration years.
As a Super Two player, Posey is arbitration-eligible for four years as opposed to the usual three, so he remains under team control through 2016. His salary figures to escalate significantly over the next three years, so while there’s some risk involved given the position that he plays, locking him up now would secure some cost certainty for the Giants.
“Our view of Buster is that he’ll be reasonable,” Giants CEO Larry Baer told me. “We’ve thrown some things out. They’ve thrown some things out. It’s going to be more evolved over time. It’s not a `check back in two weeks, we may have something’ kind of thing.”
Baer classified getting an extension done with Posey as “a matter of importance,” but neither side views Opening Day as a deadline.
Posey, 25, owns a .314/.380/.503 batting line over his first 308 games in the majors. His 172 OPS+ last season led all hitters.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)