Mar 9, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
After right-hander Deolis Guerra was forced to leave Team Venezuela earlier this week due to injury, Twins general manager Terry Ryan told Rhett Bollinger of MLB.com this morning that he suffered a blood clot in his right shoulder. Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that he will miss approximately three months following surgery.
This is another tough blow for Guerra, who has largely been a disappointment since coming over from the Mets in the Johan Santana trade. The Twins originally hoped to develop him as a starter, but he was moved to the bullpen in 2011 and posted a 4.11 ERA and 71/22 K/BB ratio over 70 innings last season between Double-A New Britain and Triple-A Rochester. While his name has been bandied about in prospect circles for a long time, he doesn’t turn 24 until April.
For what it’s worth, Mets right-hander Dillon Gee had season-ending surgery last July to address a blood clot in his shoulder. However, he hasn’t had any issues this spring and is expected to begin the season in the starting rotation.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (252)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)