Mar 10, 2013, 5:19 PM EST
According to the A’s official Twitter feed, left-hander Brett Anderson was diagnosed with a strained right trapezius muscle Sunday after making an early exit from his Cactus League start against the D’Backs.
Anderson collided with the Snakes’ Adam Eaton around the third base bag in the first inning. He wound up throwing only eight pitches, yielding one hit and two runs (though just one was earned).
The talented 25-year-old southpaw will probably skip his next turn in Oakland’s spring rotation but that wouldn’t necessarily rule him out for his scheduled Opening Day start — April 1 — against the Mariners.
The trapezius muscle extends down from the neck to the middle of the back. It’s on his non-throwing side, so he should be able to resume light mound work within a week or so. The A’s will reevaluate him on Monday.
UPDATE, 5:21 PM: Anderson downplayed the injury when he spoke to reporters in the clubhouse, according to MLB.com’s Tyler Emerick. It just spazzed up on me,” said Anderson. “It’s not something I’m too worried about.” Anderson is considered day-to-day.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 16
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)