Mar 10, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
According to the A’s official Twitter feed, left-hander Brett Anderson was diagnosed with a strained right trapezius muscle Sunday after making an early exit from his Cactus League start against the D’Backs.
Anderson collided with the Snakes’ Adam Eaton around the third base bag in the first inning. He wound up throwing only eight pitches, yielding one hit and two runs (though just one was earned).
The talented 25-year-old southpaw will probably skip his next turn in Oakland’s spring rotation but that wouldn’t necessarily rule him out for his scheduled Opening Day start — April 1 — against the Mariners.
The trapezius muscle extends down from the neck to the middle of the back. It’s on his non-throwing side, so he should be able to resume light mound work within a week or so. The A’s will reevaluate him on Monday.
UPDATE, 5:21 PM: Anderson downplayed the injury when he spoke to reporters in the clubhouse, according to MLB.com’s Tyler Emerick. It just spazzed up on me,” said Anderson. “It’s not something I’m too worried about.” Anderson is considered day-to-day.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)